Fluval 405 from saltwater to freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ciph3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I bought a Final 405 for 29 gallon freshwater planted tank.

The person who I bought it from used it on a saltwater tank and it's been dry for about 6 months.

He also have me a Python no spill gravel vacuum thing.

Are these two things ok to use on my tank? Do I have to run it in a loop somehow to rinse it or something?

Thanks. Have an awesome day!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Run the Fluval I'm a 25 gallon tote
For 24 hours with a 10% bleach solution. Then drain everything and run for 4 hours clean water. Let air dry. Drain again and run for 4 hours with clean water again and let air dry. No media just all the baskets. You'll be fine.

Prefect. Thank you so much :)

I'm an computer and systems engineer and I understand chemistry very well but wanted to make sure.

The experience of the people on this forum in invaluable to me. :)

I'll run it through a bucket next weekend.

You think it'll be too much with this plus a redundant Fluval C3. I also have an Aquaclear 50 as backup.

I run a 205 on my 40 breeder and it creates a lot of current as is. I did put my 406 on that tank to test it when I first got it and the current was too strong. IMO/E, I wouldn't put the 400 series on anything less than a 65. You could try adding a DIY spray bar for the output side as it may be of some help. I have no experience with them myself so you'd need to wait for someone else to chime in or search on AA or google for that assistance.

Yup. Good suggestion. I already ordered new pads, like 2 kilos of Biomax and polishing pads. Hopefully that is enough.

It was sold to me empty for $50 together with a 20' python gravel vac.

Can I use the same method to clean the gravel vac? Would be cool to be able to use it.

gravel vac is a bit easier to clean. get a scrubber and soak in bleach rinse, and scrub clean all the plastic pieces as best you can thoroughly. then do it again after they air dry for bit. Throw the tubing in the garbage and buy replacement tubing at the hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom