Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poetical1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Once my 55 gallon tank is set an scaped, I am considering a fluval 406. Tank will be in the family room, is the canister quite enough as to not be a distraction when watching tv or a movie? What else should I consider?

Thanks all!

I've heard great things about these canisters but have not owned one personally.

I do own a cascade 1000 and its VERY quiet if you keep the water level above the spray bar. You would never know its there,

Caleb

I ran the older versions 404 and 405 for years on an 80 gal. Only one at a time. It was very quiet mine sat about 4 feet from me in the living room and never bothered me watching TV or anything else. It's a great filter and you can customize your media. Great filter for keeping the tank clean for about two months with regular water changes, before needing cleaning.

The biggest issue I had with them was the priming after cleaning it would take a while to get rid of air. Also sometimes it wouldn't seal tight and water would leak out from between the power head and canister connection even with new O ring. Once the pump was primed the leaking would stop. They seamed to have about a 10 year service life before the plastic parts just became brittle and would break. They do sell parts for them also which I had to buy a few over the years.

Not sure how the 406 is like I say I had a 404 then a 405 both had same issues. I have moved on to the FX 6 by Fluval.

They say it is improved here's hoping they fixed the priming and leak issues. It would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have an Eheim 2217 canister my 50g tank.

Amazing crystal clear water and so quiet dont even know there is a filter turned on.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm running both the Fluval 306 & 406 currently. Both are very quiet, easy to service, and mine have been leak free. No problems. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm running both the Fluval 306 & 406 currently. Both are very quiet, easy to service, and mine have been leak free. No problems. I highly recommend them. Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I 2nd that. I have a 306 and a 406. I can't hear either one.

Great into all, thanks!! How does the cost of maintenance ( replacement of media ) compare to others? Any one feel that the cost is inflated due to the name of are canisters like the cascade 1000 a lower quality producing a lesser result?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I owned a smaller version of the same thing. I really like these filters for a lot of reasons. The first is that they seem to be made decent and don't leak much like some competitors. Second is that they are designed with maintenance in mind. The top doesn't have to hold a lot of water. That means when you open it, it is much easier to drain and lift the top off. Cheaper ones I have used had a lot of water trapped in the top and were heavy and messy. Third is that it has a lot of room for media. If you don't mind the hang on back look then I would also tell you to take a look at phosban reactor instead of the Fluval. It's a lot cheaper and uses a much smaller/cheaper pump. Instead of phosphate media, you can add bio media, activated carbon, filter floss, or any other media. These can work better because they avoid bypass. It's all I use now. PM me if you have any questions. I still think Fluval Filters are very nice if that's the way you wish to go.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it has a ceramic impeller last I checked. That's a bigger deal if you ever go saltwater.

Last edited:
I have an Eheim 2217 canister my 50g tank.

Amazing crystal clear water and so quiet dont even know there is a filter turned on.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Oh, I always had hard time with my 2217. I could never prime it properly and would always hear the impeller hitting the walls. It is otherwise very quiet too.

I now have a 2228 and its amazing in my 65g.

But to comment on the fluval, I have a 205 for my 20g and its very quiet too. Even less humming from the motor than my 2228, but it may be due to the size if the thing.

And as suggested, keeping water level above the spray is generally a good idea..

I run several fluval cannisters. They all have done me very well. Very quiet. Easy to clean. And 0 problems. 306 to the fx6 are all making me glad for my purchase.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the 406. It is super quiet and keeps the water crystal clear. I don't find it expensive to maintain and the primer is very easy to use. My only complaint is that it is very heavy when full of water, so for me, it is a little difficult to lift off the floor for cleaning.

I have the 406. It is super quiet and keeps the water crystal clear. I don't find it expensive to maintain and the primer is very easy to use. My only complaint is that it is very heavy when full of water, so for me, it is a little difficult to lift off the floor for cleaning.
For sure it is heavy. Not sure about the 406, buy my eheim 2228 keeps 3 gallon is water inside on top of all the media.

What I do is remove the media before taking the canister out to empty its water.

Last Dec. I set a Fluval 406 cannister for my 75 gal tank. And the tank is in my living. It is very quiet. Very often I check underneath the cabinet to be certain the filter is running because I don't hear anything!

I have two 406's running on my 120 and still can't hear them unless I'm standing near the tank. As mentioned, very heavy when full so you'll want to keep things organized underneath so you can get them out easier. I sit each one inside a small plastic bin (rubbermaid-type storage container) to catch any accidental spills/leaks. If there ever is a leak some day that will give me time to catch it before any flooding. So far very happy and flow is still 100% after 3.5 weeks running them.

I have two 406's running on my 120 and still can't hear them unless I'm standing near the tank. As mentioned, very heavy when full so you'll want to keep things organized underneath so you can get them out easier. I sit each one inside a small plastic bin (rubbermaid-type storage container) to catch any accidental spills/leaks. If there ever is a leak some day that will give me time to catch it before any flooding. So far very happy and flow is still 100% after 3.5 weeks running them.

Hey, I like your idea of keeping a container under the canister filters just in case of leaks. I will find some to fit under my Fluvals. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom