Fluval Ammonia Remover vs Puragen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Went to LFS to get some Puragen which they didn't have. I see on line it looks like a fine granular material and I see in here some folks using in similar fashion to carbon.

I see ammonia remover which is described by Fluval as an ammonia remover, and wondered if this is basically the same thing. The thing that is confusing to me, is I heard of bleaching the puragen as a restoration step up to 6 times or so reading in here.

Are these the same? I am trying to resolve a cloudy tank that has been running for 13 weeks or so. Cycled as far as I can tell, but cloudiness persist. Cycled I say as it initially had ammonia, no nitrites, then eventually nitrates after a couple weeks. Then nitrates went down. I have to get a nitrate test kit, but ammonia is zero has been for quite some time, nitrites are .25ppm, and pH is about 6.8.

I have had the ammonia remover for awhile, but didn't know how it would help, and if it's the right thing, as I think this is a need to filter fine material, and understood that's what the Puragen does.

Tank is 37gal, and has 1 goldfish in it (about 5-6"). Filter is a Fluval/Aquaclear 70, 300gph.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom