Fluval canister question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run a 405 on my 46 gallon, it's rated for 100 gallons. I saw one on amazon earlier today for like $122 brand new. I'm not sure if you're looking for more filtration than that though. If you really want to go crazy and you really want a Fluval...I guess a fx5 is an option. Your fish might feel like they're in a washing machine though, lol. Unless I'm missing something, I think the fx5 is the next jump up from the 405 with Fluvals though. I know Eheim and Rena make some good canisters as well, I just don't have personal experience with them.

Last edited:
I would definitely do the Fx5. It's so awesome. For an 80 gal I think it's well worth the price jump from the 405. I was stoked to pay $238 for mine and right now amazon has it down to like $216.

Hey eco, can you tell me more about your 405? I'm doing a 50 gal very soon, and I want to go canister because it seems like the way to go for bhulk water filtration.

Hey eco, can you tell me more about your 405? I'm doing a 50 gal very soon, and I want to go canister because it seems like the way to go for bhulk water filtration.

I have one as well...It's pretty simple and straight forward. I like it. You have plenty of media baskets. The new ones pump right away. I have had no problems with priming it. Parts are cheap if you look on Amazon, Ebay, etc. The problems I have heard people complain about are normally easily avoided by doing some simple things.

Example...It has a ceramic shaft. I've heard people complain about the shafts breaking too easily. If you try to put motor cover on and are not lined up correctly...you break shaft. If you just slip shaft into cover before installing cover, then put whole assembly back in(motor and all) you can't break it.

Look on Craigslist and prepare to maybe take a ride for a good deal. I got a 75 gallon tank and 2 fluval 405's(plus airpump, test kits...a whole bunch of crap), for less than the cost of 1 new fluval. Most people can be talked down quite a bit on Craigslist if you show genuine interest.

Ok I will re word the question I want any type of canister filter (external) that is reasonable priced start with the smallest I can go cause I will also be running a AC200

If your looking for a cheaper price point go with the 405. It'll be fine if you running an AC200 aswell.

IMO the bare minimum would be a Fluval 405 or Eheim equalivment, I'm a Fluval guy but always hear good things with Eheims.

I'm sure eco23 will come along soon, but I have the 404 (the 405 is the updated) and it would be a fine choice for your 50 gal. It's a great filter for a 50. At the very LEAST you could do a 305 ... maybe ... but for the extra $$$ the 405 is worth it.

Might try the 405 with my ac200 but I am thinking hard anyone know off hand the price difference between the 405 and fx5

On Amazon.com I just saw the FX5 = $215, 405 = $148. That's just the first site I came to without really searching so I'm sure you can find better prices. Still not too bad $215 for fx5

Back
Top Bottom