Fluval Canister question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've finally secured enough funds to upgrade my tank. It's been a long time and I'm stoked about making some changes.

Anyways I have a standard 55 gallon that you get from any garage sale in America lol

I've narrowed my choice down to a Fluval 06 series canister. My question is should I spring for the 306 or 406? I'm on the side of more than enough filtration camp. I'm currently running an Aqueon 55 and Aquaclear 50. Both of these HoBs have been running for more than 4 years and I haven't had an issue with them but noise.

Hopefully I get some views and opinions! Thanks in advance AA!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I run a 306 on one of my tanks. It runs great so far. If you have the money I'd go biggest you can afford.

So I've finally secured enough funds to upgrade my tank. It's been a long time and I'm stoked about making some changes.

Anyways I have a standard 55 gallon that you get from any garage sale in America lol

I've narrowed my choice down to a Fluval 06 series canister. My question is should I spring for the 306 or 406? I'm on the side of more than enough filtration camp. I'm currently running an Aqueon 55 and Aquaclear 50. Both of these HoBs have been running for more than 4 years and I haven't had an issue with them but noise.

Hopefully I get some views and opinions! Thanks in advance AA!

Get the 406. You can control the flow rate and always knock it back down if it's too strong. If the 306 is not enough (which I think it will be) you can't go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All I run are Fluvals. I run the 406 on my 55g and love it. I use the coarse sponge on the outside and fine sponge on the inside of the red intake tray and biomedia in all four trays. No polishing pads, AC, or filter floss in that filter setup because of the WC schedule. Just keep in mind the more media in the baskets, the less flow you'll have in the end. I can't speak highly enough about them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

You guys have me sold on the 406.

Now for price. I see an average of $180-$200 for the 406 between EBay and Amazon.

But I found a seller that has an open box 406 for $140. The seller says it was a store return. In the pics it looks as if everything is there and still in original packaging. The seller has good reviews and a return policy(albeit a short one).

Good deal or not?

You guys have me sold on the 406.

Now for price. I see an average of $180-$200 for the 406 between EBay and Amazon.

But I found a seller that has an open box 406 for $140. The seller says it was a store return. In the pics it looks as if everything is there and still in original packaging. The seller has good reviews and a return policy(albeit a short one).

Good deal or not?

Not worth it, It may work outside of the returns policy and breakdown afterwards with no warranty.

Ya not sure for $40 I'd risk it. Just never know on returns if they broke something trying to set it up and returned it claiming they didn't need it.

Glad you decided on the 406. I had a 306 on a 45 gallon and decided to switch it out as it slowed down over time (in spite of cleaning) and didn't seem to have enough surface agitation. The extra "umph" from the 406 is probably worth it.

My 306 has been "ok" but just that, there's no good explanation for the slowdown, and as I needed new filters I decided to try the SunSun filters and never looked back. They are very basic filters (do not even come with media usually), poor english manuals, and lots people find wrong with them -- but it's a great value. I now have four of the 404B's, and not a moment's trouble. They are less messy than the Fluval, which invariably burbs about a cup of water out when disconnected, and hold FAR more media . I've only got 6 months on the oldest, so I guess we'll see which lasts longer, but so far I've had to get the Fluval repaired once (warped impeller cover) and all SunSun's have been fine.

Just worth mentioning if you are on a budget.

I've heard about Sun Suns but with my luck I'll get a crappy one lol

I've heard about Sun Suns but with my luck I'll get a crappy one lol

Not debating where it is most likely, but that's true to some degree for any filter, and a great reason to buy from someone with a good return policy, then you do not have much to worry about.

I don't dislike Fluval, I kept mine, it's churning away right now. It is a good choice. I mentioned sunsun because you mentioned funds.

I've heard bad and good about just about every brand. One thing that might be useful if you haven't bought is watch some of the videos online about cleaning media, etc. for different brands - it gives you a good view of how they come apart, go back together, space inside, etc. There's no substitute for actual hands' on experience, but watching other people lay hands on is the next best thing. Some people love the different kind of plumbing the classic ehiems have, for example. Some people really like Cobalt's putting the pump inside the tank, so it keeps circulating while cleaning. Some people like built in UV lights, some people hate them. In your size tank there's a LOT of choices.

Ok so I went back to the drawing board and started doing more research, comparisons, and bargain hunting.

So I finally made my choice and ordered an Eheim Classic 2217. Hopefully I'll get it by next week!

For the record I looked at:

Fluval 406 and 306
Eheim Classic 2215
API Filstar XP-L
Hydor Professional 350 ( optional inline heater )

Wait for a sale, I got my 406 for 150

Not eheim, fluval

Ok so I went back to the drawing board and started doing more research, comparisons, and bargain hunting.

So I finally made my choice and ordered an Eheim Classic 2217. Hopefully I'll get it by next week!

For the record I looked at:

Fluval 406 and 306
Eheim Classic 2215
API Filstar XP-L
Hydor Professional 350 ( optional inline heater )

What was the deciding factor or feature?
I'm looking to buy 4 canister filters at the end of the month.
Thanks.

What was the deciding factor or feature?
I'm looking to buy 4 canister filters at the end of the month.
Thanks.

The Fluval was my 1st choice but costs around $180-$200.

The API and Hydor are both attractive filters in my opinion but from reviews a lot of users didn't like how water was actually moved through the media baskets. What I mean is because the intake/outtake are located on top the water is supposed to move through downwards and then upwards through the media baskets. Also the API has priming problems( there are vids showing this ).

What finally sold me on the Eheim was 1.) price compared to the other similar sized filters, 2.) good reputation and reviews.

What also differentiates it from the other canisters is that the water flows in through the bottom of the canister and upwards through all the media( no trays with the Eheim ), then out through the top of the canister.

Just got my filter in yesterday! I'm super excited to get it set up. I also sprung for a Finnex Planted Plus which came the same day.

I stopped at Lowes and picked up a pipe cutter and hose clamps. I'm off tomorrow and will be working on the tank for a few hours. Needs a good cleaning and trimming.

I have a 55 gallon tank and want to know what canister filter to buy?

UPDATE: I finally got around to setting up my Eheim yesterday. I had to trim some of the tubing and cut a piece of the spray bar to make it fit.

This filter is fantastic. I can't believe how quiet it is and the great flow it puts out. The real verdict will be when I start making adjustments to the media and ease of maintenance. Priming it was super easy also.

I will try to post pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom