Fluval Chi Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keaton_J

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any stocking suggestions for a 5.5 gallon Chi? I'm currently thinking of doing:
-1 Betta
-3-4 RCS
-Some type of sucker fish (Oto?)
-Some type of snail(s). Definitely need suggestions on this.

Picture is of the tank as it is today, but it will be well planted with low-light plants by the time I add fish. It will also have a red lava rock as a centerpiece. Tank will be heated and have a light bar/bubble wand combo fwiw.

IMG_0589.jpg

Thanks in advance!

A betta is good. May or may not eat rcs. My guess is in a tank that small a good chance it will. A nerite or other small snail be ok. No where big enough for shoal of ottos. Probably wouldn't have enough plant/biofilm mass to support them.

Id go betta and a nerite and as many plants as you can to help params.

Many believe that a Betta needs a 10g tank. They do love room to show off those fins.

Shrimp are fascinating and fun to watch. Always busy. So perhaps shrimp and snails? But Shrimp seem to do best in a tank that has aged a bit. Not too new.

They would climb that rock mountain and own it.

Okay so definitely no oto. Is there any sucker fish small enough for this tank? Or should I just stick with a snail and maybe some shrimp as my cleanup crew?

Also, does anyone have experience with Mexican Dwarf Crayfish? I've read they're docile enough to be with a betta.. And it should be big enough for the betta not to eat.

Here it is as it sits! Still going to add plants and make sure it's cycled before adding any fish. I think I've decided on a Betta, RCS, and a Nerite Snail.

IMG_0796.jpg

Those snails look awesome! I'm planning on starting with 5 RCS and seeing what the betta thinks of them.. If they disappear I'm not going to add more. Maybe I'd do more snails haha

Here's the tank as it sits! I added some anacharis the other day to help cycle a bit, as well as added the bubble wand/LED combo along the back wall.

I did put in a blue mystery snail and two white cloud minnows today. I was only going to get the snail but the guy at the LFS talked me into the fish as well. They were actually with a Betta in the store so I didn't have any complaints.

IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg

Temp says 77.6

Wcmm are cw fish 60-72. Ive kept them around 66

I turned off my heater and dropped the temp as soon as I got them to the tank. I'm planning on keeping it at 75. Is that an okay temp?

Also, the picture of the tank alone was from a few days before I got the fish. They went in at 76 and I stabilized it at 75.

They will be ok just not ideal. Very cool fish. I have some in a pond now. Were some of first fish I had. Love cold water

If I put a betta with them what temperature would you suggest keeping the tank at?

Thats the issue betta temp range between 75-80

Wcmm love 70 degree water. Betta have issues with low temps. Hard to mix tropical and cw fish

Back
Top Bottom