Fluval FX5 Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
My husband and I are in the process of building a 125 gallon African tank...woohoo! :). We purchased the Fluval FX5 online at a GREAT price...but we are now deciding which filter media to use in the baskets. I've done allot of reading on the media, but I would like some input from an experienced source please. Thanks!!!

I have had my FX5 on my 90 gallon tropical tank for around 6 months. I currently have (and have always had) the lower 2 trays full of Bio Max (really any Bio media will work, Bio Max was what was available to me) and in the upper tray I have as much Poly-Fil as I can stuff in there. Many people on AA will have different opinions as to what Bio media to use but IMO any Bio media will suffice. I hope this answered your question, if not let me know

My filter baskets are full of kitchen pot scrubbers. You know, the multi color 6 packs (chem free) from the dollar store. They provide ALOT of surface area for beni-bacteria in the biological baskets at a fraction of the cost (1$ per 6) and they last for ever with minimal breakdown, so far I have 5 years on mine without a singe aquarium issue! On another note, they also carry the potential to act as mechanical filtration for anything that may get by.

fishfanatic said:
I have had my FX5 on my 90 gallon tropical tank for around 6 months. I currently have (and have always had) the lower 2 trays full of Bio Max (really any Bio media will work, Bio Max was what was available to me) and in the upper tray I have as much Poly-Fil as I can stuff in there. Many people on AA will have different opinions as to what Bio media to use but IMO any Bio media will suffice. I hope this answered your question, if not let me know

Poly-fil...like from the fabric store? Does that work like the water polisher? I like the pot scrubber idea too...clever! This is exactly the type of ideas I was looking for. Thanks!!

Botanica said:
Poly-fil...like from the fabric store? Does that work like the water polisher? I like the pot scrubber idea too...clever! This is exactly the type of ideas I was looking for. Thanks!!

Yup exactly like you get from a fabric store. You need to make sure it is 100% pure Poly-Fil, no chemicals or fire retardant or anything like that. I always wash it off a little before I put it in the filter. The Poly-Fil will work exactly like a water polisher (from my understanding of what a water polisher is, it filters out small things from the water)
I wish i would have known about the pot scrubber idea! Thanks!

fishfanatic said:
Yup exactly like you get from a fabric store. You need to make sure it is 100% pure Poly-Fil, no chemicals or fire retardant or anything like that. I always wash it off a little before I put it in the filter. The Poly-Fil will work exactly like a water polisher (from my understanding of what a water polisher is, it filters out small things from the water)

Funny, I was just saying the same thing about the poly-fil. I think I am going to put the poly-fil around the potscrubbers myself. I'm thinking ultimate biological filtration. Ha

Hello, I have a rena xp4 on a salt tank, but I think the idea is the same. I use a porous sponge (that came with the filter )and some activated carbon, Two 5'' stuffed panty hoses full, and live rock rubble ( lava rock would achieve the same effect) Bioballs and bio media (hard rock type) and then filter floss.

My thinking is as the water comes in I want to increase the level of filtration as it goes through and have the bio media in the middle, so on the intake side of my filter (where water first comes into the baskets) I have loose media and I try to get that finer torwards the output. I dont know if it helps but it gives me some rhyme and reason to my filter media placement.

fishfanatic said:

Okay...I'll check it out...thanks! :)

Readingexcalibur said:
Funny, I was just saying the same thing about the poly-fil. I think I am going to put the poly-fil around the potscrubbers myself. I'm thinking ultimate biological filtration. Ha

I love it...lol!

Saratj1 said:
Hello, I have a rena xp4 on a salt tank, but I think the idea is the same. I use a porous sponge (that came with the filter )and some activated carbon, Two 5'' stuffed panty hoses full, and live rock rubble ( lava rock would achieve the same effect) Bioballs and bio media (hard rock type) and then filter floss.

My thinking is as the water comes in I want to increase the level of filtration as it goes through and have the bio media in the middle, so on the intake side of my filter (where water first comes into the baskets) I have loose media and I try to get that finer torwards the output. I dont know if it helps but it gives me some rhyme and reason to my filter media placement.

Hi...thanks for the info! I was wondering about using carbon because I know you have to remove it if you have to administer any medicine...but hopefully that won't be an issue...lol. The media placement logic makes perfect sense tho...thanks!! :)

Back
Top Bottom