FLUVAL FX5 Going back to lfs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trotty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not happy. :cry: The FX5 that i bought about 3 months ago has chewed the motor and is sounding rather nasty. I have to leave it going untill tomorrow when the rep is comming into the LFS where i bought it. It sounds like its running dry but still pumping water. ive checked to see if there was any thing in the motor assembly but nothing. Looks ok? Sounds like *beep*!

Any one else that had any problems?

No I haven't, I've had the FX5 for 3 months with no problems whatsoever. No noises not a thing to complain about. So far I love it.

I loved it too up untill last week and it went to sleep on me! I think you read my post in the last FX5 topic.

Sounds like you got a lemon of a cannister. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that. Am going to do a filter cleaning on it later tonight. Maybe I should be worried. 8O

Andos99 said:
If they'll take it back, pick up an XP3 instead.

I'd have to agree there. You could try another FX5 if it's what you really want, but if you would prefer a change, go with the XP3. :)

I don't know anything about the XP3 but find out, or I am sure someone here could tell you what the GPH of that cannister is. I'm assuming part of the reason you bought the FX5 is because of the high GPH it has?

XP3 is only 350 GHP and I think the XP5 is 900 GPH? I didn't know what size tank Trotty is running it on, but two XP3's is cheaper then one XP5 and would suitable for up to 300 gal. (Two XP3's that is)

I'm running it on a 800litre tank with 3 other filters that can really do the job on thier own. 2x CF1200 caniters from AQUA 1, and a AQUACLEAR 500 or 110 waterfall. It was mainly due to flow and filter capacity that i chose such a large unit as i have very large fish in this tank!

I have an XP3 that I'm not happy with. I've taken the thing apart and put it back together a hundred times in the last month and it just won't run. The motor is going like crazy but not taking any water in... it's like I've lost suction. I've checked for airlocks and holes in the tubing and can find nothing wrong. Guess I'll just keep trying. I don't want to take it back because it's probably something really simple that I just keep missing and I REALLY loved it for the three months it was running - it kept up with my messy goldfish and pleco the entire time (I had it on my 55).

LydiaGreen - make sure your intake hose is pointed straight down in the filter with no loops. When you pour the water into the intake hose, is it filling up all the way? Make sure the airlock is up when you fill the hose and once you push it down, the cannister should fill with water. If it still isn't working after that, you may have a defective filter.

Well I did another filter cleaning and must say, I am completely impressed with my FX5! It really takes the gunk out of the water. It was easy to clean and worked perfectly. No complaints from me.

I'm still waiting for the rep to get back to me, hopefully 2morrow. I pulled the motor out to find the impeller is slowly chewing the canister away, not to mention the impeller itself. I've noticed alot of end freeplay in the impeller, can anyone tell me if this is common? And as far as the filter goes, if the motor craps itself ill hook a pond pump up to it.

It does use its internal size very well for filter function, great filtering aspects. Great media range and heaps of space for media. I would still recomend this filter.
I just think i got a dud....

GOOD NEWS!!!!! (or bad) Got info from rep today that the first batch of FX5's were defective in the computer/timer... will be getting full replacement soon. Had no toubles since first cut out. motor has stopped making noise since the new impeller was put in too.
ALL GOOD!!

Back
Top Bottom