Fluval or AquaClear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoDreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am really thinking about getting a new filter. The more I read about these filters, the more I feel that the cheesy PetCo Aqueon filter I have just is not cutting it.

I do not like that my Aqueon filter has cartridges that are the "all-in-one" type design. I feel that the AquaClear design of the 3 separate packages that are each replaceable when needed is better. They also appear to just be all around better quality and better built and function better as far as filtration goes.

I am looking at getting either 2 AquaClear 70s or 2 Fluval C4s. Any opinions or thoughts? I am running right now a single Aqueon 55/75 on a 55g tank.

I have both filters that you are considering I would choose the aquaclear it's way simpler and a better workhorse, and you can customize what filter media you want to use. I also had the aqueon filter IMO they are crap switch to the aquaclear it will be the best choice you make

Excellent - thank you for your input :) Is there anything particularly wrong with the Fluval? What makes the Aquaclear better?

I just want to make sure I make the right decision, dropping over $100 on filters - I want to make sure I get the right ones that will last and do their job.

I've never used the Fluval but have several aqua clear filters and am very pleased with them. I'm in the process of changing out all of my HOB filters to AC's.

All I am using right now are aquaclears. I'm using an aquaclaer 50 on a 30 gallon freshwater and another 50 on a ten gallon nano. They work great and I would not get anything but them

I have fluvals and aqua clear here's a list of the pros and cons of both.

Aquaclear pros

Cheaper to buy
Media is more customizable
Rather quiet
Easy to maintain

Cons

Hard to clean the media without getting the floor wet.
Takes a significant amount of room
Not as beautiful as the fluval
Flow rate adjuster not very good

Fluval pros

Quiet
Easy to clean the media and filter
You can clean one type of media at a time
Smaller than the aquaclear
Very customizable chemical and biological compartments
flow controller very effective

Cons

More Expensive
Media is harder to find

Drs foster and smith has great deals on aquaclear filters. I like my AC 110 a lot...

I am honestly torn between the 2. I really really like the Fluval C4, the extra $10 / filter is not that big a deal. But the fact that the AquaClear filters seem to be highly recommended fulls me the other way. I see both good reviews on both, as well as users complaining about loudness on both filters.

Fluvals and Aquaclears are made by the same company (Hagen). The pump motors are even the same. Expect both to be of similar high quality.
Fluval C-Series - you pay for the name and "technological advances" (if you can call it that).
AquaClear - you pay for a solid, proven filter.

Sorry if I'm a little late to this party but I own both the Aqua Clear and C-Series of Fluval filters. Yes they are both made by Hagen and share the same impeller assembly. The main difference is that the C-series is like an updated and more refined version of an AC filter IMHO. Things I REALLY like in the C-series over the AC are:
-telescopic intake (can be adjusted to a custom height by twisting)
-wet/dry filter compartment that's ideal for beneficial bacteria (c-nodes / biomax)
-modular design, similar to what you'd find in a canister filter.

The AC and C-series are equally as loud (or silent, if you can call it that). There's a method online of applying some petroleum jelly to the impeller shaft to lubricate it and help reduce some rattling... Both filters were a little loud at first, but once they break in a bit, they become significantly quieter.

I only give a slight edge to the AC filters for being somewhat cheaper and for having a lifetime warranty (while the C-series only has a 3 year warranty).

Bottom line, EITHER filter would be an upgrade to that Aqueon filter IMHO. Plus the ability to NOT use 'cartridges' is an attractive up-sale.

Sorry if I'm a little late to this party but I own both the Aqua Clear and C-Series of Fluval filters. Yes they are both made by Hagen and share the same impeller assembly. The main difference is that the C-series is like an updated and more refined version of an AC filter IMHO. Things I REALLY like in the C-series over the AC are:
-telescopic intake (can be adjusted to a custom height by twisting)
-wet/dry filter compartment that's ideal for beneficial bacteria (c-nodes / biomax)
-modular design, similar to what you'd find in a canister filter.

The AC and C-series are equally as loud (or silent, if you can call it that). There's a method online of applying some petroleum jelly to the impeller shaft to lubricate it and help reduce some rattling... Both filters were a little loud at first, but once they break in a bit, they become significantly quieter.

I only give a slight edge to the AC filters for being somewhat cheaper and for having a lifetime warranty (while the C-series only has a 3 year warranty).

Bottom line, EITHER filter would be an upgrade to that Aqueon filter IMHO. Plus the ability to NOT use 'cartridges' is an attractive up-sale.

Hmm... Define loud lol. My Aqueon filters are nearly dead silent. The only thing I hear from our tank is the air pump for the aeration. I am still in debate mode over which one I want. Money is not a big issue, I just want to make sure the 2 I buy are the 2 I stick with for a long time. So I want to make sure I get the right one.

Generally, the AC will be as silent as your aqueon, however occassionally, especially after you clean them (if you clean the impellar), they get a rather noisy rattle that continues till they build up a coating again.

Well they're definitely silent as any other HOB filter, if not the quietest among the HOB class. I think the only type of filter that out classes any filter in terms of 'silence', is a canister filter.. My Fluval 106 is super silent! But in terms of HOBs, the AC and C-Series are second to none IMHO.

echoDreamz said:
Hmm... Define loud lol. My Aqueon filters are nearly dead silent. The only thing I hear from our tank is the air pump for the aeration. I am still in debate mode over which one I want. Money is not a big issue, I just want to make sure the 2 I buy are the 2 I stick with for a long time. So I want to make sure I get the right one.

IMO, go with AquaClears and pick up one extra sponge and one extra bio-pack. That, and the media supplied in the filter box, will last for a very long time plus you get a lifetime warranty. Save the carbon packs that are in the box for later use and add the extra sponge to one filter and the extra bio to the other. There is no floss or cartridge to replace, just rinse and return it to the filter. Cost of upkeep, straight out of the box, on the AquaClear is almost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom