Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval pressurized co2 vs DIY co2

I'm very indecisive on which I should end up going with, I was curious to know what the pros and cons are on both co2 setups. This will be for a nano tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Fluval pressurized co2 vs DIY co2

Here is a pic of my 20g planted tank from a little over 2 years ago. At the time I was using a Finnex FugeRay LED, DIY CO2, API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, and EcoComplete (substrate). It was at the lower end of medium light. I was not ready for a pressurized CO2 system; DIY (yeast based) worked fine for about a year. It was not a lot of CO2 but it made a big difference in the growth and health of the plants. It ran 24/7 and posed no health problems for the fish.

Edit: If I were to do DIY again, I would use the citric acid method. Less messy, longer lasting, controllable, more precise.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Here is a pic of my 20g planted tank from a little over 2 years ago. At the time I was using a Finnex FugeRay LED, DIY CO2, API Leaf Zone, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, and EcoComplete (substrate). It was at the lower end of medium light. I was not ready for a pressurized CO2 system; DIY (yeast based) worked fine for about a year. It was not a lot of CO2 but it made a big difference in the growth and health of the plants. It ran 24/7 and posed no health problems for the fish.

Edit: If I were to do DIY again, I would use the citric acid method. Less messy, longer lasting, controllable, more precise.

Very nice looking tank, I ended up going with the DIY co2 route instead of the fluval pressurized co2 system. I am going to try the citric acid method and see if it works for me.
Did you have any problems with the fluval drop checker?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandSomeDevil13 View Post
Did you have any problems with the fluval drop checker?

Other than the suction cup not sticking to the glass all of the time (it's about 3 years old), not really. I think it's easier to read because of the white background.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com