Fluval U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, just set-up a Fluval U2 internal filter in my 10g fry tank(put some panty-hose over in it). Still running my old filter(cycled) to help seed my new one. There's no rush on this as i could always swap some bio media from my canister if needed. I didn't use the carbon pads in the U2, gonna save them for when i need them.
Waters crystal clear, all my water tests are normal. Anyway i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this filter as i was thinking of changing the media inside. Maybe sticking a 100g bag of purigen in it, i have a spare one and/or filter wool inside some panty hose. Has anyone done this??. Any advice welcome...:cool::cool:

Hi,

I used to have the U3 in a 30g long. It was a decent filter. The one thing I didn't like was that I would get detritus back into the tank when taking the filter pads out to clean them. No matter how hard a tried, stuff would just end up back in the tank. The right way of replacing the media, of course, was to take the whole thing out of the tank! I combined this filter with an AquaClear hang-on-back and the water was always free of particles.

David

Attachments

• PICT1065.jpg
    PICT1065.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
I currently have a fluval u2 and two fluval u2 up and running on a 30g. Lol it sounds like overkill but it only on to help with the waste of the babies. I agree with David about the debris falling out. But apart from that it is a good filter.

I currently have a fluval u2 and two fluval u2 up and running on a 30g. Lol it sounds like overkill but it only on to help with the waste of the babies. I agree with David about the debris falling out. But apart from that it is a good filter.
Thanks guys, Samzter, did you just use the original media or did you add anything yourself-Filter wool, purigen??
I've mine currently set-up in a 10g platy fry tank-i have the filter covered with some tights. I'm also running the original small internal that came with it, 300lph. This original done the job on it's own but i like overkill too!. I might remove this when my u2 seeds?. I have about 40 platy fry at the moment..I was thinking of just leaving the old one in there, tanks not on display so don't really care what it looks like. I realize that the fry will produce more waste as they grow, so it might be best to just leave it there??. Also i use the bubble feature(sorry don't know the proper name) on it so do u think i still need an airstone(which i have). The fry seem 'afraid' of it....Sorry for all the questions, but as i'm new to this i like to pick the brains of experienced aquarists!!...Ian

Back
Top Bottom