Flying fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone currently keep flying fox ? I found some today, not CAE's, and wanted to see others input before I got a few. Research tells me they can become aggressive later.

Thx,

Dave

You have to be careful and make sure that the fish you are referring to as a "flying fox" is what you think it is. My LFS calls the Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) the Thai Flying Fox. The SAE is not aggressive (unlike the CAE) and is one of the best algae eating fish you can find. It is especially good at destroying the dreaded black brush algae (aka BBA). You can see how to identify the true SAE by following the link below.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#algaeeatingfish

That's the very article I've read and the fish I looked at today I think are real flying fox. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and look closer.

I've got an "algae eater" in a 29 gal that turned out to be a monster CAE, about 6" now but he's not really aggressive, just territorial.

Thx,

Dave

I have 3 Siamese Flying Foxes, AKA SAE. They do thier fair share of Eating hair algae. They don't really get rid of it as much as they trim it real short. They do not clean the green algae off of my glass. I used to have a Golden Agae Eater (Albino CAE), now he did a great job on the green algae, but I got rid of him because one day...even though he has spent 3 years in a tank with them... he decided he could not stand my Gouramis and began to relentlessly chase them around.

The SAE's do not bother any fish besides eachother. I bought 3 at the same time and size. One decided it likes flake food, and has grown twice the size of the other two. All in all they like to chase eachother in circles. They also like to lay on a leaf here and there... lounging. from what I have read, my rainbow shark is not supposed to get along with them. But he really does not seem to bother them.

Back
Top Bottom