foam in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am guessing its too much protein in tank causing this. Tank has been running for about 10 months, never a problem. The only changes to the tank is I recently added some Seachem Matrix to my HOB filter. The foam started about a week after. Not sure the Matrix can cause foaming, so not sure what else could cause it. Everything else has been pretty constant. Took some fish out, added a few more back, numbers are about the same. Might be feeding a tiny bit more. Going to skip a couple of feedings a week and add an extra 25% wc mid week from my normal 50% wc once a week. Ideas.

Did you rinse the Matrix before you put it in?

Start using a new food?

Use any additives like quick start or stress coat? There is another I just can't think of right now but can cause a bit of foam.

As you mention though you could increase the water changes % and frequency to freshen up the water over the next couple weeks.

Did you rinse the Matrix before you put it in?

Start using a new food?

Use any additives like quick start or stress coat? There is another I just can't think of right now but can cause a bit of foam.

As you mention though you could increase the water changes % and frequency to freshen up the water over the next couple weeks.
Thanks for the tips. The only 2 new things were the Matrix, which I rinsed very well, not much came off rinsing it, the water column itself is clear, no cloudiness. Nothing else new. I was feeding bloodworms once a week and switched to feeding brine shrimp twice a week (trying to see if it help with breeding). Extra water change has so far helped with the foaming, but I have noticed more biofilm on surface the normal so I am starting to lean towards overfeeding at this point. I do have some purigen that I had used in the past, I will throw it back in and see if it helps clear it up as well as cut back on feeding as well.

Yes, and see if you can add movement / agitation like a bubbler on the surface which can reduce oily/ film on top.
there are two HOB filters running, one is more biological the other mechanical polishing so plenty of movement on surface.

update. So bubbles/foam had pretty much disappeared, I stopped feeding brine shrimp. Tank had been doing very well, added in a half of a cube of frozen brine shrimp, 2 days later, bubbles and foam again. so culprit has been found.

That is really interesting to hear. The Brine shrimp was in cubes frozen? Must be something in the liquid or the preservative??? I feed Brine shrimp from freeze dried and live and even various cubes. Which brand /type was causing your problems?

Did they smell fresh or maybe had defrosted then refrozen and was not fresh maybe had begun to spoil? Always curious about these strange things that help us finds answers to problems.

That is really interesting to hear. The Brine shrimp was in cubes frozen? Must be something in the liquid or the preservative??? I feed Brine shrimp from freeze dried and live and even various cubes. Which brand /type was causing your problems?

Did they smell fresh or maybe had defrosted then refrozen and was not fresh maybe had begun to spoil? Always curious about these strange things that help us finds answers to problems.
The brand is Hikari frozen cubes. Im not sure if they had been partially defrosted and then refrozen at the store, did not happen once I purchased them. They didn't smell 'off' to me either. I even fed less than previously. I take out some tank water and drop in cube frozen. Once defrosted I use an eyedropper to suck up some of the brine shrimp and squirt it into the tank. I only use about half a cube for about 20 nano fish and about 15 month old fry. 20 gallon planted tank that is over filtered with 2 hob filters.

5 days later and foam has cleared up. Weirdest thing, clearly something going on with this batch of brine shrimp. I feed them frozen blood worms occasionally as well and have never experienced the foam from those. Live and learn something new I guess.

Back
Top Bottom