Following Aqadvisor stocking %'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizae

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like to use that site to help me estimate what will work in a tank, but I am wondering how accurate/how closely I should follow its stocking %'s?

1 Cory in 90 gallons is 10% stocking but 11 cories is 33%? Maybe I do not understand the math going on. I have stocked tanks into 120% and have had no water, growth, or aggression problems, and the fish lived long healthy lives

Some people say to keep it stocked below 80% or 85%. The stocking I want is evidently 100%.

I guess it is a matter of trying to stop new hobbyists from over-stocking the tank?

I guess my final question is, is should I really rely on the stocking site or should I use it as a ballpark and determine compatibility? Also I am no stranger to water changes, I think I had 6 aquariums up at once, doing one water change a day and having one rest day (Unless I felt like cleaning another tank again or it needed it).

Take it with a grain of salt. It gives pretty wacky numbers sometimes. The capability seems about right, at least with what I was working with.

Ok thank you! I figured my “minimum” stocking (to see if numbers need to be adjusted) would have been below what it wanted but it put it right at 100%. With what I wanted it seemed odd so I came to double check, especially since last year it told me it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom