food aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

its_kay_10

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have 5 glofish Danios and one seems to chase the others away from food. He chases them anyway but more so when there is food around. I feed them 2x a day. I know danios aren't supposed to be agressive but is it possible to have a food aggressive fish?

Chasing and aggression aren't always the same. If he isn't causing physical, noticeable damage, and the other fish are getting enough food, then you should be fine.

You can still feed the same amount but feed it at both ends of the tank, so the bully will take one side and the peaceful-er fish can have the other.

Fish of any species can be aggressive. An aggressive fish of a normally peaceful species is known as a "Rouge" and they can happen in any species... Some fish are just wired to be more aggressive than the rest of their kind.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

What size is the tank? Too small of a tank can cause increased "attitude" in fish...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Chasing and aggression aren't always the same. If he isn't causing physical, noticeable damage, and the other fish are getting enough food, then you should be fine.

You can still feed the same amount but feed it at both ends of the tank, so the bully will take one side and the peaceful-er fish can have the other.

Fish of any species can be aggressive. An aggressive fish of a normally peaceful species is known as a "Rouge" and they can happen in any species... Some fish are just wired to be more aggressive than the rest of their kind.

Thanks! I'll try that! I haven't seen any damage yet, but we've had them less than a week.

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I'll try that! I haven't seen any damage yet, but we've had them less than a week.

In that small amount of time it may be that they are just establishing a pecking order, as all fish do.

But, keep an eye on the fins of the others. A nip or two on the is fine, but if it is shredded then you have an issue!

In that small amount of time it may be that they are just establishing a pecking order, as all fish do.

But, keep an eye on the fins of the others. A nip or two on the is fine, but if it is shredded then you have an issue!

Will do. The smallest one we have has been hiding behind the filter for a few days. But he's tiny. The second smallest has taken up hiding to, but not all the time like the smallest who hardly comes out for food.

What size is the tank? Too small of a tank can cause increased "attitude" in fish...

Just saw this we have a 10g.

Just saw this we have a 10g.

And all thats in it is 5 Danios?

If so, you should be alright. Its a big enough tank for just 5, i would actually add some more at some point :)

And all thats in it is 5 Danios?

If so, you should be alright. Its a big enough tank for just 5, i would actually add some more at some point :)

Yup. That's all, my husband and I were talking about getting a few more danios. We didn't want to start off with too many since it is a brand new tank and we only cycled it for about a week before adding the fish to it.

Yup. That's all, my husband and I were talking about getting a few more danios. We didn't want to start off with too many since it is a brand new tank and we only cycled it for about a week before adding the fish to it.

Thats isn't really cycling it... Usually at least 3 weeks is needed to cycle, sometimes more.

I know this isn't the intention of the thread, but could you elaborate on how you cycled? Danios are tough and the are often used for fish-in cycles, but its good to have the tank cycled fully before adding anything else in. What are the level of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

I added a bacteria supplement in it and basically let it run. I'm a bad fish owner and don't have a testing kit, I was supposed to get one from my friend and haven't seen her, but I've been doing a 50% pwc everyday and they don't seem affected at all. I'm gonna see her tomorrow so I'll get it then.

Thats isn't really cycling it... Usually at least 3 weeks is needed to cycle, sometimes more.

I know this isn't the intention of the thread, but could you elaborate on how you cycled? Danios are tough and the are often used for fish-in cycles, but its good to have the tank cycled fully before adding anything else in. What are the level of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

I added a bacteria supplement in it and basically let it run. I'm a bad fish owner and don't have a testing kit, I was supposed to get one from my friend and haven't seen her, but I've been doing a 50% pwc everyday and they don't seem affected at all. I'm gonna see her tomorrow so I'll get it then.

Bacterial supplements are meh, they don't really seem to work right...

I don't think you need to do 50% everyday, i would do 25% everyday or 50% two or three times a week. If the tank is cycled you should only need 1-2 50% WC a week. If its not, then you want a little Ammonia in the water so it can cycle.

So if you have ammonia, it isn't done cycling. If you have Nitrites, isn't done cycling. If it isn't done cycling then it needs a bit of ammonia to cycle. So you don't need to do such massive, frequent WC.

0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and have some amount of Nitrates means its cycled.

And it doesn't mean your terrible to not have a Test Kit.

My little secret... I don't have one either, at least not a full one. I can test the PH and Nitrates. If i want the rest, i go to the LFS, say "Im not buying fish today" and ask them to test it. But, PH and Nitrates and Temp are the only common things that you need to test for in a cycled tank. And my fish do ok.

Bacterial supplements are meh, they don't really seem to work right...

I don't think you need to do 50% everyday, i would do 25% everyday or 50% two or three times a week. If the tank is cycled you should only need 1-2 50% WC a week. If its not, then you want a little Ammonia in the water so it can cycle.

So if you have ammonia, it isn't done cycling. If you have Nitrites, isn't done cycling. If it isn't done cycling then it needs a bit of ammonia to cycle. So you don't need to do such massive, frequent WC.

0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and have some amount of Nitrates means its cycled.

And it doesn't mean your terrible to not have a Test Kit.

My little secret... I don't have one either, at least not a full one. I can test the PH and Nitrates. If i want the rest, i go to the LFS, say "Im not buying fish today" and ask them to test it. But, PH and Nitrates and Temp are the only common things that you need to test for in a cycled tank. And my fish do ok.

Ok, thanks. I'll cut down my water changes and see what it does, getting my friends test kit tonight. On a good note the one fish doesn't seem too aggressive today lol. He was just having a bad day yesterday. He chased the three down to the bottom of the tank. Now they are all swimming happily. "Little guy" even came out of his hiding place a few times today!

Ok, thanks. I'll cut down my water changes and see what it does, getting my friends test kit tonight. On a good note the one fish doesn't seem too aggressive today lol. He was just having a bad day yesterday. He chased the three down to the bottom of the tank. Now they are all swimming happily. "Little guy" even came out of his hiding place a few times today!

Oh, if it was just a one-day thing i wouldn't have worried... But its good to care!

But yeah, i would do a 20% every evening. That should be fine.

Oh, if it was just a one-day thing i wouldn't have worried... But its good to care!

But yeah, i would do a 20% every evening. That should be fine.

Yeah, I didnt know it was a one day thing, it was just something I noticed and I got thinking he's always the one chasing. Thanks again. I did the water change this morning so I'll do a 20% tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom