Food blocks causing increased water hardness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaela21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We went away for 10 days, and left a food block in the 20 gallon tank, which is home to swordtails, rainbows and 2 cory's. Also some live plants. When we got back, the water hardness was at 17 degrees and the plants did not look healthy 8O , but the fish seemed energetic and happy. We did a water change (1/3) and it dropped to 12. Any thoughts on this whether the food blocks may of caused this hardness increase? Thanks.

Food blocks have been the cause of many issues in tanks. I have personally never used them, but have heard many horror stories. It would not surpise me if the food block was the culprit in your case.

I wuld suspect the food blocks...if I remember correctly, they are made out of plaster or some such, which certainly would increase dissolved mineral solids in your water.

Right - plaster of paris, in fact. I would rather my fish go without eating for a week, but 10 days is certainly pushing it! I would avoid using those blocks, or at least use way less than the recommended portion, maybe. I have not heard too many glowing testimonials for these things, and plenty of sob stories, like Lori mentioned.

Thanks for the replies. What I am going to do is invest in a automatic feeder as we are leaving for another time away next week. Thanks for the input.

You can get auto feeders pretty cheap. You don't need the fancy digital ones, the basic ones do fine. I use them on my FW when I go on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom