Food/feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is everyone's feeding schedule for their fish, and what all do you feed them? I have 3 black skirt tetras and a male Betta right now, but after some research, I am wondering if I'm feeding them the fish equivalent of McDonalds everyday. I feed tetramin flakes to pretty much everyone, and I fast them once a week. Please list how often you feed, what, and in general how much.

29 community. I feed M-F once a day NLS medium food. I think I will try Their community blend next time. I skip Saturdays and feed frozen bloodworms on Sunday.

My 10 gallon betta/ADF I feed M-F once a day NLS betta blend. And every other day frog pellets 3-4 each then frozen bloodworms 3-4 each. They skip weekends.

I'm still trying to find out how much my zebra danios will eat. I just have some generic flake food. I seem to be able to get by with one flake, twice a day for a school of them. It seems like so little, but they're active and if I feed any more, they don't eat it. I give them blood worms every so often (freeze dried). I don't have a specific schedule yet on when I give them blood worms. I'm thinking of trying New Life Spectrum. People seem to like that stuff.

I feed NLS Thera+A to all my fish. I try to feed once a day but I do forget a day here and there and feed twice a day sometimes.

I feed well. I try to make sure that every fish can get their fill.

I also feed with NLS, I was told by my LFS that that was the best quality pellet food. Any tips/tricks on how to get slower moving or shy to get their fill my two smallest fish only get the food that makes it to the bottom of the tank. I don't want to over feed the rest of them or have food go uneaten just so it gets the the bottom.

Feed one pinch where the bulk of them are, then quickly sneak another small pinch to the two that don't get any. That's what I do with my slow eating Betta.

I've fed Tetramin for a long time with good results. Out of curiosity (and cheapness) I bought a big bag of flakes from someone at a local swap. He buys bulk flake from manufacturers, adds his own earthworm and beefheart flakes, and mixes everything together. It definitely smells fishier than the Tetramin. I think my fish like it better too. I've been feeding it for a couple weeks now and the fish all come to the top now at feeding time. If I continue to see good results, I may switch to this new stuff permanently. It was $10 for a good pound of flakes.

Tetra isn't worth feeding, not with the higher quality foods available now.

I have found that feeding different size foods is a good way to fill up aggressive feeders and still have food for shy feeders. Feed the larger food first (3mm for example) and the aggressive feeders will fill up. They will also hold a large piece in their mouth as it softens so they can eat it. Then feed a smaller food (1mm for example) and the shy feeders can get their share.

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. I prefer their Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites and help prevent health problems overall. It comes in multiple sizes.

I think I will try a combination of the two methods " feeding larger food first on one side then some smaller food on the other" so that they all get their fill. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom