food for for middle/bottom feeder fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agrainger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 144 gallon tank with tetras and some other middle/bottom feeders. i am planning on a automatic feeder but when i feed my fish flakes, they all stay on top and some of the fish don't get any. i have been putting a pinch in my fingers in the water to get them to sink and the fish love it. is there a good food for tetras and gouramis that will sink a little from an automatic feeder. plan to add discus in future so don't want alot of food sitting on the bottom sand.

thanks for any help

The crisps/crumbles sink some. You could try pellets and even some are called sinking pellets.

And just curious, how many tetras fit in a 144g?

The pellets that come in the same containers as the flakes, not the large pellets advertised as sinking food, sink much faster than the flakes. I would imagine some would get through to the middle/bottom feeders.

Sinking foods and algae wafers work well. Flakes and wafers would be a good combo, as the flakes will keep the tetras entertained and the bottom feeders can enjoy the wafers. If your tetras are like mine, they will eat go for the wafers too, so they have to be distracted.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom