Food Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to set up a 37 with several different types of fish. It's going to have tropical and eventually I would like a mated pair of blue rams. I plan on feeding them frozen on a semi regular basis but what should their main diet be? For my tropical fish I have now I use omega one fish flakes and they love them but for the rams do they require a cichlid pellet?

They don't require pellets but they are a much better alternative to flakes or frozen, between cost and health benefits. I think the best analogy about flakes is they're like popcorn which is full of air, where as frozen is like popsicles which is full of water. Pellets are much more nutrient rich which is by far the best method of feeding compared to the other options.

I would recommend New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets in either the Thera or Cichlid formulas, this is a one product that does it all that doesn't require any additional dietary supplements.

Well if you plan on having bottoms feeder, then a sinking pellet is good. I like to feed dried foods first to distract all of the top feeders, then drop the sinkers in the back. That gets everyone the opportunity to eat. Frozen treats once or twice a week is plenty.

They don't require pellets but they are a much better alternative to flakes or frozen, between cost and health benefits. I think the best analogy about flakes is they're like popcorn which is full of air, where as frozen is like popsicles which is full of water. Pellets are much more nutrient rich which is by far the best method of feeding compared to the other options.

I would recommend New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets in either the Thera or Cichlid formulas, this is a one product that does it all that doesn't require any additional dietary supplements.

I just saw your reply I'm sorry! Now I have a bala shark and I'm not all what else I'm planning on getting when I upgrade and get everyone but can you tell me which would be the best nls formula for me? I'd like to feed them that but honestly, I have no idea which one to pick or anything. It confuses me so much! Lol.

I just saw your reply I'm sorry! Now I have a bala shark and I'm not all what else I'm planning on getting when I upgrade and get everyone but can you tell me which would be the best nls formula for me? I'd like to feed them that but honestly, I have no idea which one to pick or anything. It confuses me so much! Lol.

All NLS formulas are very close to each other, honesty the pellet size is most important choice. You want the fish to be able to swallow rather than chewing. I feed Thera to everyone, including tropicals and plecs; the extra dosage of garlic is a great addition.

Back
Top Bottom