Fools Gold Aquarium Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all. Found a cool piece to use want to be sure its safe. Thanks and God bless!

You are just smarter than some of us by asking first rather than later after a few fish deaths.

Thank goodness! I actually figured it was fine! I am curious though what it does to fish in the wild when its in water.

Probably not much unless they're in a 75 gallon pond. I suspect there's so much water that the heavy metals are severely dilluted.

I agree. I would skip it for a tank. I have a bunch of other cool rocks in my tanks though. There are plenty of cool ones out there, so I would keep an eye out for something else. I added a bunch of my childhood rock collection to a few tanks. :)

Thanks guys :) I did forget about the large volume of water in nature. I just thought it looked cool how shiny it was lol

I was wondering would it be possible to coat it in a clear aquarium safe coat? I can't remember the name but I heard people coat certain things to make them safe for their tanks.

I was wondering would it be possible to coat it in a clear aquarium safe coat? I can't remember the name but I heard people coat certain things to make them safe for their tanks.

I am not certain about that. You bring up a good point though. You could certainly look into the possibility. I would think it depends on how well the seal of the clear coat lasts. Some rocks and minerals actually break down relatively quickly in water in comparison to other substances that clear coat is commonly used for (ie. some metals). Without having any experience with a product like that myself, I would suggest looking at the exact specifications given on the product. Worth looking into though, GodFan! Worst case scenerio is that you decide it still won't work. :)

Very true and I have never used it either just seen it lol wasn't sure if it would be possible

Now I feel stupid lol I am the one who always says ANYTHING is aquarium safe when coated in a nice coat of aquarium safe silicone! Just have to make sure it is thick enough to cover it completely. The question is would it ruin the effect?

I don't think so all the pics I've seen pics where people seal things and they always look amazing. And if it happens to ruin it at least you tried lol

I don't think so all the pics I've seen pics where people seal things and they always look amazing. And if it happens to ruin it at least you tried lol

If I have any silicone left I just might :)

Back
Top Bottom