For those with stocking questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
There seems to have been a surge of people asking questions regarding stocking their tank with a large number of these people already having the fish in question.

There was another thread similar to this that became basically a debate due to the original poster not exactly practicing what he preached.

Just to reiterate the message, please research BEFORE you buy. If a local fish store tells you it's okay, research before buying. If a friend tells you it's okay, research. If a million people on here tell you it's okay, research.

There's nothing to lose by researching.

It's much easier to turn down buying a fish after researching and realizing you won't be able to provide a good life for the fish due to their needs than it is trying to rehome a fish after you bought it and having that realization.

If a fish does better in a shoal or group setting, please give it a shoal or group setting.

One great tool to use is AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to give you a rough estimate of your stocking level as well as any red flags that may appear. It even gives you the ideal temperature and pH.

Knowledge Base — Seriously Fish Another great resource providing profiles on most fish you could ever possibly want.

Just googling "*your fish of choice* care" will provide plenty of information.

And one more tip, do not look at one website and take the information as fact. Look up multiple sources, stories from people who have kept the fish, and come to a conclusion based on a wide array of knowledge.

Sorry for the long post, but it is just so much easier for everyone/everything involved if a little work and planning goes into the aquarium. Research until your eyes bleed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1. It's really sad that I still see fish like Bala sharks, iridescent sharks, red tail cats, and pacus still being sold to people who belive that they stop growing if they're raised in small tanks. Likewise, I've seen people keep fish together that have different care requirements. Florida and Hawaii are biological hot spots for invasive species and when people release their fish, the whole ecosystem and native fish population is at risk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nigel,

Great message. I wanted to say thanks for the link to Seriously Fish. I hadn't seen that one. Looks like a great resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom