Forgot to turn filter back on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm pretty sure it's been off since last weekend. I went to do my weekly water change for the 30 gallon and saw that it wasn't plugged in! It's possible it happened Friday night, but I'm not sure. I have a bubbler so I just didn't notice! I'm glad I had the bubbler but I'm wondering if I would have noticed sooner if it wasn't running. I have 7 rainbowfish and 1 cory in the tank. They're all behaving normally. And I cannot for the life of me find my test kit. Having a bit of a freak out right now!

Whoops, if your fish are acting normal then just do a 50% PWC and keep searching for you test kit, when you find it do a test to make sure all is good and then relax :) of the levels are a little high just do about 30% PWC but I think you will be ok with the 1 half water change.

Since the filter sat for a week you should clean it good. It will be holding stagnant water. Don't be surprized if you have a bit of a mini cycle while the filter reestablishes its BB. Your bubbler saved the day so don't worry.

+1 about cleaning the filter if it isn't on already, I assumed you switched it on when you see it had been off, but you should be fine either way

Keep an eye on your fish and watch for a spike in ammonia. If you get one, it is a sign that you have anaerobic bacteria in your water column. The bad news, a 50% or more WC is required. The good news, anaerobic bacteria die in the presence of light and O2. Do your WC, turn on the tank lights and run an air stone for a few days. This should drive off your bad bacteria. Also you never said if you turned the filter back on while still connected. If you did not, that is great. If you did, keep an eye on your fish for disease.
Good luck....Dwa

Thanks everyone. I didn't turn the filter on immediately, I cleaned it well and changed the filters first. I also did about a 2/3 WC. Still haven't found the good test kit but I found some strips I have. Better than nothing. And all looks good. Nitrites and nitrates at 0. PH about 6.0 and hardness is at 0. That's all this test gives me. It's been about an hour and the tank is looking good as well as the fish behaving normally...following me everywhere wanting to be fed! If I don't find the good kit I'll pick one up in the morning. I cannot believe I did this. I feel terrible! I can promise I won't do it again!

6.0 is very low....what do you have in your tank that likes water that acidic? The API master test kit can be found on ebay and stores like petsmart. Don't get any fish from them, but their dry goods are pretty harmless.
Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom