forktail rainbow fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody know anything about these fish?

Attachments

• IMG_94105.jpg
    IMG_94105.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 127
They are highly active little fish that remind me alot in behavior as the Threadfin Rainbowfish. Males display and do good in community tanks with other peaceful fish. They do like harder water and higher ph. They also like some floating plants just like the Threadfins do.

Add 2 females to every male plant the tank well, have some moss or other fine leaf plants growing in your tank and have floating plants that have long fluffy roots that hang in the water (I use water hyacinths) and let them mature and nature take it's course. My threadfins spawn off and on in both the fissens (a type of moss) and the roots of the hyacinths. Forktails do the same but if you want to actually try to get fry you wil need to remove the adults or predation will likely occur. They also usually spawn in the mornings. My Threadfins spawn first thing in the morning right after eating.

Rivercats said:
Add 2 females to every male plant the tank well, have some moss or other fine leaf plants growing in your tank and have floating plants that have long fluffy roots that hang in the water (I use water hyacinths) and let them mature and nature take it's course. My threadfins spawn off and on in both the fissens (a type of moss) and the roots of the hyacinths. Forktails do the same but if you want to actually try to get fry you wil need to remove the adults or predation will likely occur. They also usually spawn in the mornings. My Threadfins spawn first thing in the morning right after eating.

Hmm unfortunately I only have 3. Two males and one female. I see one male always with the female trying to get close. I'm guessing it's wanting to breed? They may already have and I probably missed it.

You really need to try to find a couple females. Two males can harrass a female unmercifully.

Rivercats said:
You really need to try to find a couple females. Two males can harrass a female unmercifully.

I know. The one that was always with the female would try to get the other male away. My petsmart only had 3 of em.

Back
Top Bottom