Foster and Smith

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlesMTF

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was taking a look at the fish selection at Foster and Smith, and they seem pretty decently priced, as well as having a nice selection. Has anyone ever bought livestock from them? And/or, any other recommended online shops to purchase some good quality fish? I'm more concerned with the harder-to-get-in-LFS fish.

I have not ordered, but really have considered it. They've got a great selection, though prices are a little high... I'd say go with it. They've now got a 10-day money-back guarantee they just instituted, so no better time that the present. What fish are you thinking of getting? You might consider looking on www.aquabid.com first, to see if anyone there sells the fish cheaper. I'm getting 4 blue crayfish next week that I paid $45 for (shipping included). A damn good price--they often go for $35 each!

Double bag them, perhaps a cooler pack. The rest they leave up the god.. by that I mean UPS.

It's not a perfect method, I'm afraid. But it usually works for them. Look it up on their site--they do have a section that details their shipping procedures.

They must do a pretty good job they guarantee live delivery and 10 days after that :)

I have ordered many items from drsfostersmith, just supplies, lighting and such. Always helpful, prompt, and great to work with, I have been very, very pleased. I order thousands of dollars worth of stuff monthly between work and home from various retailers, etc. And..... I would rate them a 9.5 because they ROCK!
:band:

They are the best kept aquarium secret. But remember don't mention them when you go to you LFS. Or tell the guy I can get that cheaper online. They hate that and rightly so if there the owner. It takes alot of bread away from them. The prices are close to what they pay for stuff. What do you think Terry?

I wasn't thinking of buying anything right at this moment... but, I'm considering starting an 55gal A. Cichlid tank and they seem to have most of the fish I want... I'm looking at a Frontosa, Hap. Moorie, and a few of the smaller ones. I'm actually trying to plan the tank's residents before starting anything on the tank.

I've never ordered fish via mail order. I've always gotten my fish from one of the LFS's around here. But, that's only cause I'm very satisfied with the quality of fish they have. About 5 or 6 other LFS's around here really have bad quality stuff... dead floaters, infested tanks, clouded waters... really bad. But, this one place has a good selection and the workers are way on top of maintaining.

My hardware and accessories I've always purchased online. I believe in supporting the LFS, and I'll generally get items that cost a few dollers from there, but unfortunately I can't spend almost double the price on a $200 filter in the LFS when I can get it for so much cheaper online.
:cry:

Back
Top Bottom