Found an AWSOME deal on a 55g tank for $125.. but will this stand hold ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys... I just bought a used 55 gallon Aquarium for $125.. It came with a stand, hood, lights, filter, heater... Its about 5 years old.. Has literally zero scratches and I thought it was a great deal considering a new 55 gallon tank is around $200+ just by itself with no stand or pump.. I saved around $400..

Now the owner said it has been on that stand she got at walmart (she got the tank there too) for 5 years but I was a little weary looking at the stand.. the tank was full of water at her house near the top but had no rocks or anything... and I was wiggling it and it seemed pretty sturdy when I was at that ladies house..

When I got home I cleaned It out and noticed the stand has a sticker that says "Warning to prevent overloading and possible collapse do not put aquarium weighing more then 550lbs or bigger in size then 55 gallons."

The tank isn't bigger then 55 gallons its exactly 55 gallons, and according to what I have read online a 55 gallon tank completetly full can weigh around 550lbs ? without rocks, with rocks would probably be what near 570-600 ? Granted the tank wont be completetly full to the tippy top it will be up the black line and with the rocks and stuff in the tank it will create more mass so there wont be exactly 55 gallons in the tank..

Do you think I'll be ok with the tank ? Or should I get some 2x4's cut and screw them inside the stand on the walls and the middle to create more support ? The stand has like a real hard plastic type of top on it.. Not exactly you know flimsy plastic its hard as rock.. But the wood walls and middle. are only 1 inch thick and seem to be made of stamped saw dust.. I mean my 30 gallons stand is like that.. My 27g hex tho is made of solid 2x4 wood.. So yea should I get some 2x4's and add them to the middle front and back and the side's left to right front and back.. and maybe add a cross support in the middle ? Or am I being paranoid ?

img_2632039_0_34681854436bc615548f8ce2b5d8f2ae.jpg

img_2632039_1_37efdf7cf384afa0043dedf8bf601129.jpg

As I said when I bought the tank it was full of water from top to bottom and it was on the stand.. She said she had it there for 4 years. It just didn't have any rocks or ornaments in it..

The thing is tho water may weigh 8.3 lbs per gallon but if I put 75lbs of rocks in it that mass will lower the 55 gallons to a smaller number, same if I put other objects in it so itll probably have only like what maybe 40 gallons of water in it

Back
Top Bottom