Found my reedfish on the floor this morning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is so depressing. I found my foot long reedfish on the floor this morning a few feet frome the tank. This is the second one to escape my explipse 2 tank. I have no idea how this is possible. The first one broke through a tape barrier I made to cover up a hole. The secone one escaped, but I don't know from where. I don't understand how this was possible? The tank is completely sealed and that hole that the first one escaped from is firmly sealed. This is so disappointing. How was my favorite fish.

How in God's name did he get out of the tank??? Eclipses are totally sealed hoods. People really aren't kidding when they say that thing is an excellent escape artist. Who else has had this happen to them?

:(

Well, being that the fish got out, it obviously found some vulnerability in the setup. Take a look at the hood from the bottom and poke around to see if anything moves/bends/opens. Fish have a lot of free time on their hands, so they can experiment a bit when trying to get out of a tank :(

I have been thinking about getting a Bichir myself. I want to use a weighted acrylic top with a center hinge and cut outs for canister tubes and the heater cord. It would have some small vent areas as well. The only way for the fish to get out would be to lift about 10 pounds worth of tank top and move it.

wow grimlock, you're right! I never thought about that. He must have crawled out from under the hood. It's a really tught fit, but it is possible. How can I seal that? I really really want to get another one since they are my favorite fish, but I have to make sure that my tank is escape proof.

Maybe I could get a piece of acrylic and use silicone do bond it to the outside of the top of the tank, but I don't know where to get just a piece of acrylic. Any ideas? Home depot? LFS?

Sorry to hear about your fish. Sounds like a really interesting breed. I have tried to come up with some info on them and i'm hitting nothing. Anyone have any websites regarding this breed?

Again, really sorry about the fish, hope you can get a new one soon.

My bichir escaped and his condensation cover had a pari gallon milk jugs of water.
He now has a plate of tempered glass that is around 15 pounds (it is the shelf above him lowered to fit over the fitted lid his tank now has) and the jugs as well. Darn African Walkin Eel! Needs to stay put! :lol: I dont know I will keep him put when he is an adult!

hey guys,
wow is this post interesting. but i am confused! like keeper i had to investigate what the 'reedfish' is. i found that reedfish is a term used for a rope fish, but then an encyclopedia said that the reedfish is a bichir(Polypterus ornatipinnis). soooo... is the reedfish illuminum talking about a bichir? thanx!
btw- the bichirs are sooo cool looking! i would love to have one at some point in my life. :)

It's not a Bichir, it's a ropefish. :D

This isn't my photo, but it's the fish I'm talking about
1741ropefishbody.jpg

Yup, very cute. Reminds me of Mickey Mouse flapping his ears. Sorry, I just don't have the heart to try again & find it on the floor. BTW, you'd be surprised, if you find a fish on the floor, even still slightly damp, you can try putting it in the water & moving it back & forth to get water across it's gills. I've gotten many a fish that could have been left for dead, back that way. Especially bettas.

Pufferpunk said:
Yup, very cute. Reminds me of Mickey Mouse flapping his ears. Sorry, I just don't have the heart to try again & find it on the floor. BTW, you'd be surprised, if you find a fish on the floor, even still slightly damp, you can try putting it in the water & moving it back & forth to get water across it's gills. I've gotten many a fish that could have been left for dead, back that way. Especially bettas.

Unfortunately he must have jumped out of the tank early on in the night becuase when I found him he was dry as a bone. Plus I live in Los Angeles and it's been extremele hot around here these past two weeks. I was sure he was a gonner :(

I think there are many fish best left to live in the wild. This is 1 of many, I'm afraid.

I check once in the morning feeding and the evening feeding to see if all are present. I have many known jumpers and all are able to take atmospheric air and can be saved if they are not dried out. I have also saved some found-on-the-floor fish.

thanx for clearing that up! they both are really neat, great fish! are the bichirs relatively easy to care for? ive researched about them because i really got interested by this post. i would just like to hear from owners of these fish what they personally think/feel.
thanx! :D

Back
Top Bottom