Found neon wedged b/w filter and tank - still alive but struggling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found him wedged and released him right away but not sure how long he was stuck. Could have been a couple mins or a couple hours. He is still breathing and moving gills and fins but sort of drifting in the tank. What are the chances he'll recover and survive? What should I do? He is already in my quarantine tank and I don't have another place to put him...

Honestly, there isnt much that you can do now other than provide healthy water & hope he recovers. You may want to consider placing a piece of foam/sponge or pantyhose over your filter intake to prevent him from being sucked up while he is drifting. And watch & wait & hope. Ill cross my fingers for you!!

jlk said:
Honestly, there isnt much that you can do now other than provide healthy water & hope he recovers. You may want to consider placing a piece of foam/sponge or pantyhose over your filter intake to prevent him from being sucked up while he is drifting. And watch & wait & hope. Ill cross my fingers for you!!

Thanks! He's still hanging in there and saw him flee from another neon Who attempted to chase him this morning so I'm hopeful he'll recover. Will keep a watchful eye on him and hope he makes it!

If he wasn't ill prior to it, he has a good chance of recovery.
If he was ill, that would most likely be why he was hanging around the intake. My tetras do it when they aren't feeling good for a day or 2. The tank they are in, doesn't have a strong enough power head to 'suck' him in. But the sick ones always hang near the filter, and with them being weaker, it's understandable they get pulled in. Tetras are usually too fast to be sucked in while healthy.

Ponch said:
Found him wedged and released him right away but not sure how long he was stuck. Could have been a couple mins or a couple hours. He is still breathing and moving gills and fins but sort of drifting in the tank. What are the chances he'll recover and survive? What should I do? He is already in my quarantine tank and I don't have another place to put him...

As said above, if the little guy was healthy before it happened he has a good chance if pulling through :)

Trying to block of the way it got there would help.

Fingers crossed for the little guy!

He appeared healthy prior to incident - although had just bought him and put hi
in QT for a week prior to incident.

He was caught in between a 4" x 4" sponge filter that secures to the tank glass with a magnet. I am going to have to get rid of that soon as its proving a bit lethal to the neons ( lost one about a month ago this same way ).

Back
Top Bottom