Found some rocks... Safe to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darb21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've found some rocks that I think are pretty cool and that I would like to use in an aquarium... Is there a way to tell if the particular rocks are "aquarium safe" or not?

Thanks!

Put a drop or so of vinager on them, if it "fizzes" dont use it. This method has always worked for me. good luck

the vinegar test is crap. It all depends on which fish you keep, and what your trying to do with your water.
If it fizzes it just means there are carbonates in the rock, which in turn means that the rocks will slowly degrade into your water and increase it's hardness.
perfect for africans, not so perfect for americans.
btw, muriatic acid may prove to be better to use. just be carefull.

Matthew

DeFeKt said:
the vinegar test is crap. It all depends on which fish you keep, and what your trying to do with your water.
If it fizzes it just means there are carbonates in the rock, which in turn means that the rocks will slowly degrade into your water and increase it's hardness.
perfect for africans, not so perfect for americans.
btw, muriatic acid may prove to be better to use. just be carefull.

Matthew
muriatic acid aka HCl or hydrochloric acid is overkill, any self respecting carbonate rock will fizz just fine with good old vinegar and you do not have to worry about burning a hole in you hand. plus HCl vapor and burn your lungs super quick as it rehydrates inside your body. IF and i do stress IF you use the HCl use it in a well ventelated area.

DeFeKt said:
hands up who...
a: puts hcl in there hand
b: inhales it
accidents happen, just because you can buy it in a hardware store does not make it safe to use, especially when there are safer alternative that will do the job.

I find that vinegar isn't strong enough, at least the distilled stuff we use at home.

I just scratch the surface of the rock with a nail or something sharp then add a drop from my AP Nitrate #1 bottle. If it fizzes it will change your water hardness. If not its inert.

I was at the creek with my son the other day and found a piece of coal. Must have washed down from one of the many mills that used to be in the area. Its inert, just need to wash and boil it before I add it to the tank. you can tell it had been in the water for a long time because the current has cut creases in it. I found it on a high spot of the bank. Never realized how light coal was, a rock of the same size would weigh 10 times as much. I was sort of hoping it would leach carbon into the tank for the plants but it won't.

IceH2O said:
I just scratch the surface of the rock with a nail or something sharp then add a drop from my AP Nitrate #1 bottle. If it fizzes it will change your water hardness. If not its inert.

Thanks for this! All seven rocks I picked up fizzed like mad using this method. I ought to go get some vinegar and see what the difference is.

Oh well, back to the drawing board... :(

Back
Top Bottom