found sweet piece of driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sith j

Aquarium Advice Activist
i found a really cool piece of driftwood to put in my 75 gal. im not sure how im going to soak it because its 30 inches across. how would you guys soak it. also will this much driftwood lower my ph. whats everyones thoughts

i used the basketball for size reference

Attachments

• driftwood_125.jpg
    driftwood_125.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 54
I soak driftwood in rubbermaid containers. You should be able to find one big enough. I don't really buy it that driftwood lowers the pH very much. It is mainly from the tannins. You may have a very slight decrease (.2 or so) but it won't be major. Especially now with that particular type of driftwood.

I soak mine in rubbermaid containers too. I also don't believe it should affect your ph much at all. I have 2 pieces of driftwood in my discus tank, one very large and one smaller and my ph hasn't moved in months.

Very nice, i have some driftwood and even after 3 months it wonk sink grrrr LOL, that will look very nice though!!!

I havent has any peices that large, so far all I have needed is a 5 gallon bucket. I normally only soak for a few days and then plop it in the tank. I dont mind, I actually like the discoloration by the tannins. My fish love it too. All my driftwood is Malaysian DW though so it sinks right away

Boiling can help driftwood sink faster. Do you have a very large pot and an outdoor camp stove or something? You could boil half at a time that way.

Boiling can help driftwood sink faster. Do you have a very large pot and an outdoor camp stove or something? You could boil half at a time that way.
Yep did it for 3 hours not in a pot but is a metal bucket thing over the bbq, lol, i added boiling water over it at the same time and nothing, just lots of tans lol thanks for the help, i dont think its going to sink, i think the slate option will be the only option!

I boiled my first piece of driftwood for about 8 hours, changing out the water and adding in fresh every hour or so. It sunk like magic and I never saw tannins.

Nice piece of wood, btw!

Back
Top Bottom