Found Two Critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I found some critters which look very much like clear limpets. Today I found something new, it looks like a VERY small worm, clear, but with a white spot in the middle.

I already have 3 nerites and 11 MTS so I guess the limpets won't become a problem.

Any ideas what the microscopic worms are?

Yesterday I found some critters which look very much like clear limpets. Today I found something new, it looks like a VERY small worm, clear, but with a white spot in the middle.

I already have 3 nerites and 11 MTS so I guess the limpets won't become a problem.

Any ideas what the microscopic worms are?

r u sure its not poop

unless poop can navigate it way through the gravel, i'm sure

its wasn't poo, plus it was a lot smaller.

it looked like a worm in width and length, and it moves with the front part of the body, then pulled the back along.

Sounds like planaria. Very common in the aquarium and harmless to your fish, but unsightly. Like herpmommy said they are usually a symptom of overfeeding.

This is what planaria look like greatly magnified:
36852-albums1539-picture10489.jpg
36852-albums1539-picture10491.jpg

Check your water parameters, it's likely that your nitrates are too high. That is potentially very bad for your fish and you need to address the root problem at once.

First of all you need to clean your substrate to get rid of the worm's food source. You need to do it thoroughly to get all the uneaten food. Suck some of the worms up as you're cleaning. This may take a couple of days to get it all. Watch your water parameters while doing this. If you do this, and maintain a regular regimen of tank maintenance, they will eventually disappear.

There are other methods you can employ that are faster, but each of them have their owns problems associated with them as well.

1) You can raise the heat of the aquarium, but it would have to be at like 95F for several hours to affect them. It would kill most of them, but will be hard on your fish. You can temporarily remove them if you want to do this.

2) Salt can be used, but there are many species of planaria that are salt tolerant and it would have no effect on them. Planaria area lso found in saltwater too.

3) You can use a chemical solution. From checking around I've found that there are some products you can use to rid yourself of them. Those products would be albendazole. Vermex, CopperSafe, FlukeTabs.

I even heard of one guy using dog dewormer to get rid of them. He used 10% of the pack for every 10-gal and said it worked. Never tried it myself.

The problem with some of these chemical solutions is that many of them contain copper. Copper will kill any invertebrates that you have in the tank. That means snails, shrimp, crabs, crayfish, etc.

4) Get some guppies, from what I understand they are one of the few fish that will eat planaria.

You can try any of these ideas, but I think your best solution to this problem is what I said at first. Clean your substrate and keep it clean. Watch your water parameters and keep them under control. If you do those 2 things, you should never see planaria in your tank again.

Reactions: HN1
Yes, it is those.

Water is good, nitrates are 30 and water is changed twice a week.

Planaria, unsightly!? Come on, they are awesome! I'm still destined to find marine Turbellarians that I can purchase and raise...seems unlikely, though!

These little guys don't usually occur in a vacuum. Something is usually encouraging their appearance. Check your substrate again. You may have more detritus than you think. It may be hiding under or in something you didn't notice before.

Ha, I'm just partial to them because I have a huge interest in flatworms. I wouldn't call them unsightly, but I guess I wouldn't want them in an aquarium with other organisms.

Completely harmless, just unsightly. They won't hurt your fish at all. They're only here for the detritus in the tank. See my post above on what to do about them.

I've got thin ~1" long worms living in my substrate, some red-wriggler sized worms in there, freshwater amphipods, freshwater limpets, and ostrocods. None of these I introduced. They are just natural parts of an aquarium. There's no need to be afraid of them. Sensationalism will do more harm than anything.

If they are no harm I might leave them, afterall the MTS will clean up any food leaving little behind for the critters.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I usually feel that if it is doing no harm to my fish and will clear up on it's own anyway, why stress the tank with unneeded treatments? I can live with it if my fish can. After all, my fish are hardly interior decorators anyway are they!

I've noticed several baby MTS recently, roughly how fast do they grow to become adults?

They sell quite well on eBay :) $$$ :)

I've noticed several baby MTS recently, roughly how fast do they grow to become adults?

They sell quite well on eBay :) $$$ :)

I'm not sure exactly, but I would say no more than a month or two.

You can grow and sell them too. They are easy enough to breed, that's for sure!

Yeah, I'm buying them no eBay.

£1 for 10, which is not bad :)

Back
Top Bottom