freaking out.... heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK so slightly freaked oit aboit the sound my heater is making.... when it is on there is a clicking/ticking sound until it turns off again. I bought it today. is this normal? should I be panicking.... can i actaully go to sleep tonight without having to worry about it?!

will my fish survive the night without a heater though?
Have you got your old heaters still that weren't quite keeping it to temp befotr?

If not heat your room up turn bubbles off cov Er tank and wrap in insulation is what I did

Turn radiators on Lou and put your old heater back in. Take new 1 back in morning
OK will do. (my old heater didn't keep the temperature well..... 29 kept it at 24!) it also made a very quiet humming (you had to really listen though). I can't beleive how much bad luck I've had!

Have you got your old heaters still that weren't quite keeping it to temp befotr?

If not heat your room up turn bubbles off cov Er tank and wrap in insulation is what I did
yeah I do still have the other heater. so fingers crossed it gives some sort of warmth! will turn hearing in too. thank you guys!!!!

I need to pick your brains again! the old heater wouldn't work at all. so I took my otos out at quarantine a bit early so I can use their heater for the main heater (it worked fine in a small 15 litre). I out the heater in set at 26. wake up this morning and it's only 24.... is there something wrong with my tank... it just doesn't hold heat! :(

The heaters are able to heat 'x' amount of litres 'y' degrees above ambient room temp.

When my central heating broke my normally 26 degree tank was 22 degrees! I bought a second equally powerful heater which resolved the problem.

Remember your heater will take time to work, and 24 degrees is not an emergency. If you can't improve your ambient temp or better insulate tank (has lid?) it might be your heater is too small for aquarium or your room is just too cold and you need to run two heaters. They both work on thermostat so this is ok

The heaters are able to heat 'x' amount of litres 'y' degrees above ambient room temp.

When my central heating broke my normally 26 degree tank was 22 degrees! I bought a second equally powerful heater which resolved the problem.

Remember your heater will take time to work, and 24 degrees is not an emergency. If you can't improve your ambient temp or better insulate tank (has lid?) it might be your heater is too small for aquarium or your room is just too cold and you need to run two heaters. They both work on thermostat so this is ok
thank you for the reply! I had my heating on last night (I don't usually bother). the heater (s) should be able to heat 22 litres no problem.... one was 25watt (that came with the tank), 50 watt and 55w (55 watt was the one that made the awful noise bit it definatly heated the tank.... but maybe a bit to much as water was noticeable warm to touch). I had a lid but it is a plastic lid with a gap... bit I asked my local fish store and they said it shouldn't make any difference.

Did they think the noisy 55watt was faulty? I have to admit I've never had a ticking heater!
I was advised to not keep it. it was pretty loud! and set at 26 it heated my tank to 28... on two occasions I saw 29 (digital heater on it made it easy to know the temp)

Mm sounds like thermostat broken / unable to click off. Bad times!
yeah! I can either have my tank too warm or not as warm as I'd like lol will be picking another up later... wish me luck! thank you for all help :) ... I'll let you know how the new one goes!

I had a problem like that happen not long ago and it heated up the tank to much for me. About 87 degrees and killed a lot of fish. Take it back asap

Back
Top Bottom