Freaky Spazzy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyChippy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got our two goldfish at the same time, 3/2002. Have them in a 3 gallon octagon tank with pump and charcoal filter. Change filter weekly. Clean tank via suction out 1/2 water, scrub pump and clean sides of tank, about every 3 weeks. About 4 weeks ago, Katy, the big one (like 3 times the size of Chippy but were the same size when we bought them) began spazzing out whenever we come in the room, near the tank, or make any movement by the tank. She swishes very fast against the rocks and stirs up the tank. I am here at the computer now, and the tank is near - when I grab for the mouse, she jerks. I also noticed her bumping against the sides of the tank the other day, but she is not doing that now. Chippy does not spaz when we come near the tank. Water temp is around 68 - 72 degrees F. Tank is not in the sun. Is not subjected to computer heat.

Also, Chippy the little one, seems to want to hang really close to Katy, touching her all the time. Where they used to swim happily around the tank, they now just hangout. Both are eating well, though Katy does not beg and jump as much as she did. We feed them 2 times a day, feed them variety of tiny pellets and flakes. Color is good, scales are good, fins are nice and flowing. Our daughters do not bang on the tank, ever.

The only change we have made in the last year and a half is with the last water change I used Spring Water (NOT Distilled Water) from the store and did not treat it with de-chlorination drops, whereas for the past year, I have used hard tap water, and treated it with de-chlorination drops. I was told the Spring water would be better than the hard, chlorinated water, AND I would not need the drops. Water change is always with room temp water. I use a thermometer. Your sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps she has outgrown the tank? If its only 3 gallons that could be an explanation.

wow...how do they fit in a 3 gallon! i had my 2 goldfish in a 2 gallon for maybe 3 months before they'd outgrown it...and they are fast outgrowing their 10gallon.

But the "spazzy" behaviour is probably just your fish recognizing you. Mine sit and watch me at my desk, and if it looks like i'm walking towards the tank, get all riled up, hoping there is food in their future.

In a small tank, this is exacerbated, since they can churn up the gravel and splash water out of the tank (thats when i really knew i had to get a bigger tank...I was pretty sure one of my goldies was going to jump out and walk himself over to the food).

goldfishinfo.com has some great info, if you're interested!

I don't know if this will help, but i had 2 goldfish in a 10 gal tank in my store for about a year and they used to swim about a mind there own business. recently they started to rub up against each other and would not leave each others side. i put some plant into the tank and the next day it was full of eggs. So in my case it was just that they wanted to spawn.
Have them in a 3 gallon octagon tank

I would recommend that you house them in a bigger tank.

Fish scratching

My fish started doing the scratching on rocks/side of tank, its called 'Flashing' here in the uk, usually shows distress due to poor quality water and sometimes the onset of fin rot or white spot in my experience.

Hope that helps
:D

Back
Top Bottom