Free wild fish from the south, up in the north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toirtis said:
greenmaji said:
Toirtis.. I tried your link.. its not working.. is there something wrong with there site?

Shouldn't be, its the US Geological Services site....I wonder if it was in an area affected by recent weather or something.

That very well could be the case..

It's not working on my end either. It acts like its loading, but it isn't going anywhere. Probably like you said Toirtis, affected by the weather.

They're not really free, since it would be way more expensive to go scuba diving...well, depending on what you'd catch.

Scuba, once you are certified, is relatively cheap as hobbies go. Wouldn't be worth it really.

Now, planning ahead, flying down to the Keys, load up on fish (snorkling gear and "slurp" guns needed, or hands and nets),, and drive back. Of course, handling the salt water fish while traveling will be tough. A friend used to make beer money slurping reef fish for local shops when he lived in Miami.

Of course, you get the exotics in the canals and such in Miami - oscars, tilapia, peacock bass, cichlids, etc.

Here in N. Florida, you occasionally see mollys or hints of fancy guppy in the native minnows. Also, the native freshwater fish are just beautiful. I'll put a bluegill (esp. a male on his nest) against cichlids or an oscar for aggressiveness any day. Plus the crawdads, bass, shiners, warmouth, gar, bowfin, etc.

Parts of Texas, mainly Gulfcoast and Southwest, have large numbers of invasive species. Many tropical Cats-n-Plecs have set up housekeeping, as well as some types of Cichlids.
Florida truly abounds with invasive species, Fish, Reptile/Amphibian, Bird and Mammal, many of which have completely destroyed competing native stocks in some areas.
They are a major problem and its too late, way too late to do anything about them :evil: :cry:
Many other states have invasive species problems, serious problems.
Sometimes I'm amazed we're allowed to keep some species of fish without needing a permit or license.

i thiink i'd be more worried about sharks or alligators to go diving anywhere in Fl.. :fadein:

Acer said:
i thiink i'd be more worried about sharks or alligators to go diving anywhere in Fl.. :fadein:

Burmese pythons and water monitors have also become established in the canals and swamps, so even more fun watery friends abound.

Toirtis said:
Acer said:

Burmese pythons and water monitors have also become established in the canals and swamps, so even more fun watery friends abound.

Don't those creatures just raise your spirits and say.... HEY! LET'S GO DIVE IN!...not...lol

Acer - In over 200 saltwater dives (including about 50 night dives) I've never seen a shark in the wild.

id10t said:
Acer - In over 200 saltwater dives (including about 50 night dives) I've never seen a shark in the wild.

Really? I have seen plenty, but never anything really large....in my dives off the West Coast of BC, I have ever anticipated having a large basking shark glide past, but have yet to see one.

Back
Top Bottom