Freeze Dried Blood Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjkelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone has seen this. I feed my Rasboras on a occasion Freeze dried Blood worms( which are Mosquito larva) they love them..anyhow I noticed the other day that some came back to life..you could see the wigglers swimming in the tank..but not for long..the fish went nuts and ate them..I am guessing maybe there were some eggs mixed in and they hatched..

anyone seen this before?

I have some, but I have never seen any come to life. Are you sure they were blood worms? What did they look like exactly?

I can't see how they could come back to life if they are already freeze dried, unless they have some mysterious property like brine shrimp eggs....

Sounds to me that something else got introduced into the tank.

Are you sure they werent just wiggling with the current from the filter?
I dont think they would come back to life after being freeze dried.

I've never had experience like that with bloodworms I use. Maybe, they just looked as if they were live because of some particluar water current in your tank?

I use tubifex and I've seen small pieces get caught up in the water column and look like they're squiggling. I never thought that they could be alive (shudders).

if you dont have too much surface agitation then maybe some mosquitos laid some live ones in your tank?

All I can tell you is what they are..they are for sure Mosquito larva and they came from those" Freeze Dried Blood worms" and no nothing has been added to the tank and there aren't any Mosquitos even out yet..Also I even turned off the filter to see if that was making them look like they were alive...I saw them and my wife saw them..
I was thinking the same thing..this is crazy..as for freeze drying.
what do you think happens to Mosquitos here in Illinois in the winter..they Freeze..the eggs hatch in early spring after the thaw..
anyhow its amazing these can survive..
If i could get a picture I would but the fish eat them pretty fast..

mjkelly said:
All I can tell you is what they are..they are for sure Mosquito larva and they came from those" Freeze Dried Blood worms"

Themn they were a contaminant during packing....particularly as bloodworms are a non-biting midge (commonly know to fly-fishermen and scientists as Chironomids), not a mosquito, even though the adults look similar.

..as for freeze drying.
what do you think happens to Mosquitos here in Illinois in the winter..they Freeze..the eggs hatch in early spring after the thaw..

I know what happens to mosquitos here, where the humidity in winter is about 5% and the temps drop to -42ºF (a sight colder and dryer than Illinois, I'd wager) ....but that is still not freeze-drying, a process that I am quite familiar with. A freeze-dryer (see appended photo) processes for days at a temperature of -125ºF/-86ºC (below the freezing temperature of CO2) and a humidity of 0%.

Attachments

• freezedryer.jpg
    freezedryer.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom