Fresh Fruits and Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to go to the store to get my fish some fresh fruits and veggies but since Ive never fed them any, what do ya'll recommend?

I have guppies, platy's, rasboras, goldfish and a pleco (all in different tanks)

Squash n Cucumbers will go over well, especially with the plecs and goldies. Blanch em before putting em in, and remove the seeds (they generally don't eat em and the seeds get all over the tank). You'll need something to hold them down (they float). I've rubberbanded slices to my driftwood, and used those plant weights as well at times.

I bought special clips that suction to the side of the tank at the LFS to hold zucchini for my cichlids and pleco.

My goldies Luv peas. Just blanch, peel (squeeze the inside out) & serve. They go nuts over peas & will come up & eat right off my fingers.

They also, like zuchini, lettuce (romaine), spinach, & just about any tender water plants!

I second the above recommendations, and I try to avoid fruits, in general, because they foul the water, and I don't think they are necessarily required. Green veggies seem to go over better, anyway. Be sure and clip something in the tank for the pleco after lights out.

I tossed 1/2 a blanched pea into my tank out of curiosity (the fry tank) and all of the guppies went for it.

Back
Top Bottom