Fresh or Salt?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt is awesome though tricker the fresh. Could do a nice SW predator tank, snowflake eel, dwarf fuzzy lion, maybe a puffer or marine betta.
Could also make a nice freshwater bio type, maybe a fast flowing river or an Amazon

That's really only something you can decide.

Saltwater is obscenely more expensive than fresh. Expect spending at least $1000 to set up your 75g properly.

If money isn't a problem and you feel confident that you can handle the demands of a salt water tank then go for salt.

If you're relatively new to the hobby or have money issues then go with fresh water for a year or two while you slowly buy the equipment for a salt water tank.

Saltwater is obscenely more expensive than fresh. Expect spending at least $1000 to set up your 75g properly.

+1. I'm setting up a 75 FOWLR and have $300 for 4 pieces of rock, $70 for 3 fish, and close to $400 in a sump and skimmer. You could do things for much less of you find an lfs that sells bulk rock cheap, or see if someone is breaking down a tank.
Salt isn't that hard compared to freshwater(I have 3 FW tanks and the 1 SW), and the hardest part about salt is the gut punch my wallet takes everytime I buy something for the 75.

The decision is really up to you though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1. I'm setting up a 75 FOWLR and have $300 for 4 pieces of rock, $70 for 3 fish, and close to $400 in a sump and skimmer. You could do things for much less of you find an lfs that sells bulk rock cheap, or see if someone is breaking down a tank.
Salt isn't that hard compared to freshwater(I have 3 FW tanks and the 1 SW), and the hardest part about salt is the gut punch my wallet takes everytime I buy something for the 75.

The decision is really up to you though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply $3 per pound for dry rock. No need to waste money on live rock.

Quite honestly money is a little tight right now, so I chose to go fresh water and get two Red Tailed Barracuda's. How long should I have the tank cycling before hand?

You do a full nitrogen cycle, fishless.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found salt water VERY challenging. For me TOO challenging & I have been in this hobby for many years. There is no doubt it is stunningly beautiful, but I just found it too time consuming & expensive.

Hello

Freshwater is for beginner to expert
Saltwater is for medium to expert

Gilbert

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My first tank was saltwater and it's just as easy as fresh water if you do your research. The only big difference is the price tag and

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quite honestly money is a little tight right now, so I chose to go fresh water and get two Red Tailed Barracuda's. How long should I have the tank cycling before hand?

When I started my aquarium I was only making 265 a week and raising a kid. You can literally diy everything except the pumps. I had an extra 10 gallon aquarium and made the sump, protein skimmer and all the pluming for around 40 bucks not including the pumps but you could buy a pump for the sump for 50 or 60 buck and use a wood air stone for the protein skimmer until you can afford a fancy protein skimmer. YouTube helped me a lot on saving money to set up my aquarium. If you like salt water you should go for it. A protein skimmer isn't necessary if you keep hardy fish and don't over stock and you keep up on water changes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom