Fresh Plants vs. Tubed Live Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are peoples opinions on live plants that you buy that are in tanks at the lfs or the ones in the tubing in the plant gel that you see on the store's shelves?

I have one that was potted in a tank and the rest are from the tubes. The tubed plants seem to be almost 'fake' and never seem to vary between healthy and droopy.

I think the tubed plants are either semi-aquatic, or fully terrestrial, meaning they either need to be slowly covered in water (semi-aquatic), or will live for a while submerged, then die (terrestrial).

hey,i have unfortunatley have no really good lfs's around me but do have a "petco"which sells the "tube"plants.i bought three java ferns from them and gotta tell ya they are doing really good!i wasnt sure bout buying plants from a tube but so far they are great

The ones in the tubes with gel are terrarium plants. The Petco by me actually has tanks that have plants in them, so you know they are aquatic. :)

It says live aquatic plants on them, but they just don't seem too "alive", compared to the one I bought from the live plant tank they have there. I just can't wait to start aquascaping. Another paycheck tied up... My mom, says I need a car though. Screw college. I like fish better :) lol

I've bought a few anubias plants from those tubes. That, java fern, and amazon sword is about all you'll get that will actually live under water. The rest of them are more bog plants that need the plant out of water. Generally, if you have any of the others in an aquarium, they'll eventually rot and foul up your water.

Back
Top Bottom