Fresh Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my live planted 65 gallon freshwater aquarium for almost 3 years. I have changed a few thing in it throughout the years and I have always kept the tank clean and healthy. But I have gotten pretty bored with it and was seriously thinking selling it.

But I have decided to completely gutting the tank and give it a good cleaning and start again. I plan to save as much water as I can. I also plan to keep some of the live plants and re-plant them. I have already ordered some new decorations and sand for it.

I have a 10 gallon extra tank that my fish will go in while I re-due the tank. Should only take a few hours

I am pretty excited to begin the transformation and a fresh start with the aquarium!!!

Any pointers anyone may have on changes to make or fun new ideas. Please let me know

Just make sure that you keep the filter bacteria alive so that you don't have to recycle. I have a 90 gallon tank which is populated mostly with schools of small fish. For a 65 gallon, I would go with a nice selection of warm water fish: 4-5 rams, 8 rummynoses, 8 cardinals, 6 corydora sterbai, 6 red coral pencilfish.

Thanks. I already have community fish. So probably won't add or change any of those right away.

But any new fun ideas for landscaping or anything is always welcome !!!!

Thinking about doing black sand on one end of the tank for the live plants and then some type of gravel on the other end. Any suggestions on what would look good. ????

Check out sand waterfalls, they seem pretty easy to make and look gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really like the sand waterfall idea. But how do i make the rock structure ?

Depends on how you want the setup, I'd say google sand waterfal diy and see if anything catches your eyes

I have googled it and found some good ideas. But i would like to do something with the rocks i already have. I just have to figure out a design I like. What type of glue can i use that is aquarium safe ???

I believe you can use silicone from the hardware store as glue, but it has to be 100% silicone, not one with additive or mildew inhibitors or anything. There is also foam you can cut to form 'rocks' or 3d backgrounds, you coyld check that out to if you want something shaped a specific way

Thanks

I also read some where the most super glues are safe to use. Is this true?

That I have not heard but it may be true

Here are the before and after pictures. Have to wait for the plants to grow back. And also going to attempt a sandfall in the back right corner. Once the plants grow back and i get the sandfall in, I plan to put some rocks in for more cover.

I let my 5 year old daughter design the back ground.

What does everyone think?
Open to suggestions.....

IMG_1480903537.752172.jpgIMG_1480903549.386192.jpg

I got my sand waterfall built.

Any pointers on to how to make it work more steady and to keep the sand recycling thru it ???

IMG_5956.jpg

Back
Top Bottom