Fresh water clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epsolon77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was considering getting some fresh water clams to add some natural filtration to the water. I have a 55 gallon, 2 10 gallons and 2 20 gallons. The 55 currently has a pretty good water turn over rate provided by 4 lee's bubble filters with a very high power pump attached. My angles thought they had moved from a pond to a stream when I hooked up the new pump! Any suggestions on breeds, placement or do's and dont's?

Same question. I know of a place in a creek near my house that is full of little clams... Not sure if they are "safe" though.

I remember getting clams out of a lake when I was a kid and hoping to keep them alive in an aquarium. I wouldn't suggest doing it, they can die and you won't know it right away but you will when they start smelling.

Pulling anything directly out of an established eco system is not preferable to me. With all my fish I try to make sure they are not wild caught. I know this causes it's own set of issues though. Still, some of the bread asian clams might do a good job as added filtration for my tank. Any thoughts?

They are just very hard to tell when they die since it isn't like a fish moving around in the tank.

Ok...Lots of research later....

It depends on the species of freshwater clam. Some versions will release young that are parasitic to most fish and will leave ich like cysts on the fish. These are obviously not what I want.

It seems that the Asian "gold" clam (Corbicula fluminea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the most available and least detrimental species. They can however reproduce by the thousands and water from your tank should be treated with bleach before being disposed of. If this species enters into a water supply, potential including sewers, it can clog the sewer line, the pond, or industrial intake and outtake pipes.

This brings up a good note though. We need to remember to be environmentally conscious fish keepers. Lets not release our fish into habitats that they are not ment to be in. "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot prints".

Back
Top Bottom