Fresh-Water Community Fish "Show Stopper ;) "

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glass cats are great fish. They do best in a school of at least 6. They love planted tanks and since they are shy, unassuming fish, they like to hang out in a tight school right in front of a group of plants. I kept schools of them off and on over the years and have often thought about getting another school since I have room in my planted 220g. I don't think you'd be at all disappointed with them.

Ohh I only have fake plants in my tank =s Maybe i should just stick with small school fish

Fake plants will work, it's the idea of having what they feel is a safe get away. So you can make a thicker area of plants for them to make them feel secure. Not a biggie. In the 80's when I first kept them I had plastic plants too. Wasn't until the late 80's I began getting into live plants on a large scale. Also do you have those silk aquarium plants in your country? they look alot more realistic and you could even do a mix of plastic and silk. I've seen tanks like that done and they can be made to look quite nice.

I have the silk plants, yes they do look life like. my fish seem to really like them =)) And a couple of the plastic ones.. But I will defiantly purchase some more silk ones and make a area for them.. Thanks heaps for your help =))

You will have to check on-line sources in your country. I know importing to Australia is impossible but there is a chance you could find fellow aquarists or fish breeders in your country. Also you have neons so a Raphael or any large mouthed catfish is out of the question or your neons and any small fish that will fit in their mouth will be a tasty night snack. I'm sure you have some wonderful Rainbowfish over there and since they come in such a wide range of colors you might want to look into a school of them. Also a school of Congo tetras would fit in well with your current stock. You already have cory's so I really wouldn't do any loaches unless they were small Kuhli loaches.

I am just curious why you wouldn't mix loaches and corys?

I got 5 Ghost-Cats or Glass-Cats .. They are a perfect addition to my aquarium.. And I did buy a live plant to =)

Likely just concern about space/food for all the bottom dwellers

This is why I wouldn't mix them in your size tank but would just increase the number of cory's since they are shoaling fish and like to be with their own kind. I actually keep only 3 yo-yo loaches with my cory's in a 220g planted tank. Loaches are actually busy fish who are constantly foraging for food and they can indeed outcompete cories in smaller tanks. Plus loaches prefer to be kept in groups also. If you really wanted loaches you would be safe doing the smaller Kuhli loaches with your cories.

Thanks guys for the help, I brought 5 of these guys.. There going great =))

Attachments

• image-2765406435.jpg
    image-2765406435.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom