fresh water community with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's your take on anacharis plants?

Rivercats is much more knowledgeable on plants than me, but I'm pretty sure anacharis is one do the easy plants up there with water sprite, swords and crypts. I would recommend an amazon sword if you can get one, I have one in my 55g and love it. If you get one just be sure and get root tabs for it and it will be just fine, same goes for crypts as they need root tabs as well.

Anacharis is an easy stem plant but it will melt if any type of liquid carbon is used.

That is carbon used in filters and is fine. Liquid carbon is products like Excel and API Leaf Zone which you add to aid in plant photosynthesis and growth.

I have the eheim 2213, I already threw away the carbon sponge that it came with. Are you using the carbon sponge or actually the carbon? And what brand should I buy
Thanks again!

Aquaplanetfish may I suggest you start your own thread if you have questions?

Ok so tested the water again.

PH 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Seems good except now the water is really cloudy.

It's just the newly added buffers doing that. Did you add crushed coral and give the small dose of baking soda to boost it? Now don't be surprized if it drops again in 1-3 days. It can keep doing that until enough buffer gets into the water to stabilize the ph. Just keep a daily check on it.

It's just the newly added buffers doing that. Did you add crushed coral and give the small dose of baking soda to boost it? Now don't be surprized if it drops again in 1-3 days. It can keep doing that until enough buffer gets into the water to stabilize the ph. Just keep a daily check on it.

Yes I did do the crushed coral and the dose of baking soda. If and when it drops should I remove the crushed coral and add a new dose of it to the media bag??

No you might have to add even more crushed coral and only give one more dose of baking soda. Don't do either if it stays close to where it is now.

Cool thanks. Your are extremely helpful. Was thinking about doing a lot of plants in this tank. How many before I have to ad a co2 system?

I wouldn't worry about that for quite some time. It will all depend on how much light you have, they amount and types of plants, ferts dosed. Just concentrate on getting your tank cycled and squared away for now.

Ok so tested the water again.

PH 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Seems good except now the water is really cloudy.

You may also have a bacterial bloom. Dont add any chemicals to "clear" the water. It will clear on it's own.

Are you shaking the nitrate bottles when you do the nitrate test? If you don't really shake each bottle as directed the test won't work.

Can you post some pictures of your plants? You may have some really nitrate loving plants.

Yes I am shaking the bottles. I will post pictures tomorrow. I have wisterias I know for sure.

Wisteria will really suck up nutrients. I have to keep mine really trimmed or I actually don't have enough nitrate for my other plants.

Wisteria will really suck up nutrients. I have to keep mine really trimmed or I actually don't have enough nitrate for my other plants.

Oooooh! Yet another cause of my previous protracted nitrate spike! My wisteria was going NUTS! I got sick of pruning it I pulled it all out. All in one go. You live and learn. Not all my fishies did tho :cry:

Back
Top Bottom