Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fresh water sump

As I told some of you I have just moved up to a 55 Gallon glass tank..I still want to make the maint. easier..Im thinking a little extra water cant hurt..My 55 is already stocked and running so I cant drill it at this point..
Im thinking of using a 10 gal or 20 gal..Starting with the 10 gal for a wet sump. So far I know I have to use a syphon to feed my sump..small hole below the water line to break syphon if too much water comes out and a small hole in the line out of the powerhead that should stay under water so if the power goes out and the syphon breaks the powerhead can keep recycling the water it has so it dosent run dry...Im sitting at a 10 gallon tank with 2 plexiglass dividers at the moment...3 compartments ..No need for protein skimmer in fresh water so Im thinking bio-balls in compartment one some type of strata for middle and power head in third tank..
any good use of sump in fresh water?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
I heave heard of people doing really well with wet/dry trickle dumps in freshwater tanks
Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use wet drys in all my three of my large tanks, what's not to like it increases water volume, increases oxygen exchange, maintains display tank water level, provides a place to store heaters, and multiple media options...my only drawback is added noise while the constant flow of water.

Tags
fresh, fresh water, fresh water sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com