Freshwater 10gal tank...fish turning 'milky' color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colauhu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I've been perusing the forums ever since I started my freshwater tanks. Now I seem to have a problem and I am hoping that somebody can help me.

I have a 10 gallon tank with no heater. The ambient temp in the room is around 70 degrees. Suddenly we had 4 fish get very lethargic and turn this kind of milky white color. It's almost like they have lost their color. I have been checking the water chemistry and it is where it should be. The tank has a "bubble wall" to provide aeration and an appropriate size filter. Everything was going so good for about a few months and then it all fell apart. What could be wrong with my tank?

We just put two new fish in the tank after letting it sit empty for a week, and the new fish are exhibiting the same problem after only a few hours.

I have a 55 gallon tank that is running great, and the only difference between the two is the heater. I'm at a loss...

Thanks for any advice that anybody can provide.

Cody

:welcome: to AA! :)

Hello,

I've been perusing the forums ever since I started my freshwater tanks. Now I seem to have a problem and I am hoping that somebody can help me.

I have a 10 gallon tank with no heater. The ambient temp in the room is around 70 degrees. Suddenly we had 4 fish get very lethargic and turn this kind of milky white color. It's almost like they have lost their color. I have been checking the water chemistry and it is where it should be. The tank has a "bubble wall" to provide aeration and an appropriate size filter. Everything was going so good for about a few months and then it all fell apart. What could be wrong with my tank?

We just put two new fish in the tank after letting it sit empty for a week, and the new fish are exhibiting the same problem after only a few hours.

I have a 55 gallon tank that is running great, and the only difference between the two is the heater. I'm at a loss...

Thanks for any advice that anybody can provide.

Cody

Did you cycle the tank beforehand? I'm guessing not, it sounds like a bacterial bloom. What are the levels of ammonia, nitrties and nitrates and what kind of fish are in there?

Also:
1.The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
2. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I don't know if you've read the two articles above, but you should if you haven't.

No, I did not cycle the tank prior to putting the original fish in. I did know about doing that until after the fact. The two fish in there right now are gold fish.

The nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are at zero.

I will definitely read the links that you provided.

Thank you for the quick reply.

No, I did not cycle the tank prior to putting the original fish in. I did know about doing that until after the fact. The two fish in there right now are gold fish.

The nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are at zero.

I will definitely read the links that you provided.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Oh man, that sucks! Is there any way you can return the fish? Fish-in cycling can be done, but you gotta be super careful and dilligent about everything!

You've got a long way to go cycling-wise. Are you testing the water with strips or a liquid test kit?

Also...what kind of goldfish? Commons and comets can have the potential to reach one to two feet long, and fancies can be eight inches long. It can be a temporary home but nothing permanent.

Back
Top Bottom