freshwater angelfish feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
so my angelfish are eating a ton. i have 3. i have a koi and 2 marbled. my koi is significantly larger than the other and he eats all the time and wont stop eating. every time i come in the room he comes up to the glass and wants me to feed him. i feed him, his belly is fat and by the next day its skinny again. the other 2 do this also but to a lesser degree. my question is how often should i feed him and when i do how much?

Generally I feed my 12 angels every morning. I feed a wide variety of food and be sure to include cooked, deshell, smushed peas about every 3rd day along with their regular food. This helps satisfy their need for greens.

Angelfish are pig's... literally they will keep eating as long as food is available and if it's eating to where it's sides are bulging out then it's over eating. If need be feed a small amount of food 2x a day but don't keep giving food just because it's still eating.

Adding to Rivercats, I also feed frozen Bloodworms too. Angels love food!!

A bit off topic but has anybody else noticed different levels if aggression associated with different colors of angels? I am not sure if I nuts but I have three different types black, platinum, and koi. I have never seen any type of aggression with any of the koi I have the other two seem more nippy especially the platinums.

I've got Koi and a few other angels and aggression is about the same. You might have just gotten some mellow Koi's.

Generally I feed my 12 angels every morning. I feed a wide variety of food and be sure to include cooked, deshell, smushed peas about every 3rd day along with their regular food. This helps satisfy their need for greens.

Angelfish are pig's... literally they will keep eating as long as food is available and if it's eating to where it's sides are bulging out then it's over eating. If need be feed a small amount of food 2x a day but don't keep giving food just because it's still eating.

The only reason i fed them that much is because in less than a day their bellies are thin again. Ill take your advice. The frozen peas you said that you feed them, are they just plain frozen peas from a grocery store?

And i had heard that angelfish in warmer water temps have a higher meatbolism also.

Yes just plain frozen peas from the grocery store. You'll only need to use a few at a time so get a small bag. Also angels should have flat sides. The more they eat the more waste they produce. If your concerned try feeding 2 small meals a day. I haven't killed any fish in over 30 years feeding lightly once a day and actually many people only feed every other day or some skip a day every week. They really will get enough nutrition and don't need bulging sides from gorging.

Yes just plain frozen peas from the grocery store. You'll only need to use a few at a time so get a small bag. Also angels should have flat sides. The more they eat the more waste they produce. If your concerned try feeding 2 small meals a day. I haven't killed any fish in over 30 years feeding lightly once a day and actually many people only feed every other day or some skip a day every week. They really will get enough nutrition and don't need bulging sides from gorging.

Alright, thanks. These are my first angelfish so im new to them. Do you think a 30 gallon aquarium is big enough for 3 angels? I think its big enough but i just want to make sure. I know with all the other fish i have with them right now it wont be large enough but i will get another aquarium soon. So when i do ill move most of the fish besides the angels over. I want to keep the angels in the most established tank.

And while im asking do you know their growth rate so i can know how long i have until i get another tank.

My current 12 angels went from dime and nickle sized bodies to the body size of a silver dollar and bigger in about a year.

I don't feel a 30g is big enough for a mature pair so no way would I do three.

Back
Top Bottom