Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question freshwater angelfish feeding question

so my angelfish are eating a ton. i have 3. i have a koi and 2 marbled. my koi is significantly larger than the other and he eats all the time and wont stop eating. every time i come in the room he comes up to the glass and wants me to feed him. i feed him, his belly is fat and by the next day its skinny again. the other 2 do this also but to a lesser degree. my question is how often should i feed him and when i do how much?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I generally feed mine twice a day and feed as much as they'll eat in a few minutes.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Generally I feed my 12 angels every morning. I feed a wide variety of food and be sure to include cooked, deshell, smushed peas about every 3rd day along with their regular food. This helps satisfy their need for greens.

Angelfish are pig's... literally they will keep eating as long as food is available and if it's eating to where it's sides are bulging out then it's over eating. If need be feed a small amount of food 2x a day but don't keep giving food just because it's still eating.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wondering why you have a koi in a tank
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemamauggly View Post
Just wondering why you have a koi in a tank
He's referring to a Koi Angelfish, it a certain color.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding to Rivercats, I also feed frozen Bloodworms too. Angels love food!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angelfish are pigs, as soon as anybody goes snywhere near their tanks they are all over the glass expecting to eat
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bit off topic but has anybody else noticed different levels if aggression associated with different colors of angels? I am not sure if I nuts but I have three different types black, platinum, and koi. I have never seen any type of aggression with any of the koi I have the other two seem more nippy especially the platinums.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've got Koi and a few other angels and aggression is about the same. You might have just gotten some mellow Koi's.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Generally I feed my 12 angels every morning. I feed a wide variety of food and be sure to include cooked, deshell, smushed peas about every 3rd day along with their regular food. This helps satisfy their need for greens.

Angelfish are pig's... literally they will keep eating as long as food is available and if it's eating to where it's sides are bulging out then it's over eating. If need be feed a small amount of food 2x a day but don't keep giving food just because it's still eating.
The only reason i fed them that much is because in less than a day their bellies are thin again. Ill take your advice. The frozen peas you said that you feed them, are they just plain frozen peas from a grocery store?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

And i had heard that angelfish in warmer water temps have a higher meatbolism also.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes just plain frozen peas from the grocery store. You'll only need to use a few at a time so get a small bag. Also angels should have flat sides. The more they eat the more waste they produce. If your concerned try feeding 2 small meals a day. I haven't killed any fish in over 30 years feeding lightly once a day and actually many people only feed every other day or some skip a day every week. They really will get enough nutrition and don't need bulging sides from gorging.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Yes just plain frozen peas from the grocery store. You'll only need to use a few at a time so get a small bag. Also angels should have flat sides. The more they eat the more waste they produce. If your concerned try feeding 2 small meals a day. I haven't killed any fish in over 30 years feeding lightly once a day and actually many people only feed every other day or some skip a day every week. They really will get enough nutrition and don't need bulging sides from gorging.
Alright, thanks. These are my first angelfish so im new to them. Do you think a 30 gallon aquarium is big enough for 3 angels? I think its big enough but i just want to make sure. I know with all the other fish i have with them right now it wont be large enough but i will get another aquarium soon. So when i do ill move most of the fish besides the angels over. I want to keep the angels in the most established tank.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

And while im asking do you know their growth rate so i can know how long i have until i get another tank.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My current 12 angels went from dime and nickle sized bodies to the body size of a silver dollar and bigger in about a year.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't feel a 30g is big enough for a mature pair so no way would I do three.

Tags
angel, angelfish, feeding, freshwater, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com