Freshwater/Brackish Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is probably a silly question, :? but I purchased some Blackwater Extract for my tank but now I'm not sure if it would be good for all the fish in it. I have 2 angels, 2 opaline gouramis, 2 kissing gouramis, 2 pearl gouramis, 2 clown loaches, l sailfin gibbiceps pleco, 1 albino aeneus cory cat, 1 elegans cory cat and 1 emerald green cory cat.

Once again, I appreciate your help!

PS: I don't know if it makes a difference, but since our move, my e-mail has changed from dander2 at cox-internet.net to the following: dander2 at sbcglobal.net.

Thanks.
Deb

*I edited your email addys so that they are safe from spambots, the change in address should have no effect at all.

Deb...

All of the fish you list will be able to tolerate Blackwater Extract as long as you don't go overboard with it. Just out of curiosity....how big is your tank? Those Kissing Gouramis are going to get pretty big!

Hi, thanks for your quick response! I have a 65 gal. acrylic tank. My reason for buying the blackwater treatment is to control the pH. We are on well water with a softener and pH runs about 7.5-7.8. Let me know what you think.

Deb

Deb...

You don't really NEED the Blackwater Extract in your tank unless you really want it. All of your fish will adjust to a pH between 7.5 and 7.8 quite well. Have you tested the hardness of your water? (GH and KH) I'd be curious to know what those levels are.

I sure appreciate your quick response! The GH is 5dH and KH is 12dH. Let me know.

Deb

Your water is hard and alkaline but not excessively so. Your fish should do just fine in it. (My tap water here in the Dallas area has similar parameters to yours and most fish acclimate to it very well.)

Deb said:
This is probably a silly question, :? but I purchased some Blackwater Extract for my tank but now I'm not sure if it would be good for all the fish in it. I have 2 angels, 2 opaline gouramis, 2 kissing gouramis, 2 pearl gouramis, 2 clown loaches, l sailfin gibbiceps pleco, 1 albino aeneus cory cat, 1 elegans cory cat and 1 emerald green cory cat.

Once again, I appreciate your help!

PS: I don't know if it makes a difference, but since our move, my e-mail has changed from dander2@cox-internet.net to the following: dander2@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks.
Deb

What does this have to do with brackish?
And your fish would probably all benefit from the blackwater extract as they all come from water that is naturally tanned from the driftwood and peat layered under the river/ pond substrates.

Back
Top Bottom