Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you get them.. .dont get a lot of them. they are good filter feeders.. but when they die, they will jack with your nitrates... and its hard to tell when they are about to die. ive avoided them for a long while because of that.

Thanks for the input. I thought they would be something interesting to add to the middle of my tank. I guess I will pass on them as well.

Hey, not a downer, that is why I asked. There are people that have a lot more knowledge on this stuff than I do. I am just starting to explore the vast world that has become available to me by upgrading to a 90 gallon tank.

I guess I will be asking you some more questions when I get to that then.

Thanks again for the input.

As I understand it, these clams are quite difficult to keep alive. Good choice on skipping them. Keep up the research and the good work! :)

BTW... if you're like us, you'll love your FW tank so much you won't be able to convert it to SW. You'll just end up getting another tank! LOL

WOOT! :D

I will say this.... take your time. SW is much more expensive, and less forgiving, than FW. Research like crazy- it's your best bet for success.

I've had bad luck with them in my 72G. Its not too easy to keep them with other fish, cause these guys like(Basically) Dirty water. Being a filter feeder, its hard to keep them from starving to death when you keep the water PERFECT. I have 3 in my Bowfront and I was down to 2 in 3 Weeks than the Last one died about 6 weeks later. I dont know how it even lived that long. The only reason I knew he was dead was that My Lobster in there Dug him up and was dining on him. Thats another thing about them as well, Even if you go for them, theres not much to look at after a while cause all the do is Bury themselves.

Back
Top Bottom