Freshwater Cycle process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, lil background about me: i always wanted a saltwater aquarium but its takes too much time and money so i decided to go for a regular one with a freshwater. I have 55 g 7 mollys in there and tonight I found one of my red mollys dead, probably male. His eyes were black and i saw the white parts on his body, it wasn't realy a damage (nobody was bitting him) its like he partly lost his color. What should i do right now ? I'm getting a 10 g tank tommorow. I ll temperary place my fish in it while i begin to set up my tank again. What i did for the first time is: I full the tank with a regular water than i added a de-chloride I leave my airpumps on(move water) for a 24 hours , so on the next day I add Bio-spira bacteria which reduced ammonia lvl I also turned on the water filter and by the third day i put 2 mollys in it than about few days later i put other 2 and etc ... I feed my fish once a day. Oh and i hold the temperature at 79. I think something wrong with the cycling process. I noticed ammonia lvl rising again.. any suggestions how to keep cycle process for long? Btw i'm not sure that balancing the cycle process will be a solution. I want to completely clean my tank and put completely new water in there. I also want to kill all bacteries no matter they are good or bad. What kind of liquid should I use to do it ? What brand? Or may be there is another options that i don't know about. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please do not do anything you have just said above. You cant just fill a tank with water and add fish right away!!! You dont want to keep the cycling process. Its something you need to occur in your tank first to make it safe to add fish.

When you setup your tank with dechlorinated water you need to then add some fish food and wait........ and carry on waiting for about 2 weeks at least to allow the nitrogen cycle to occur and good bacteria to form in your tank. Only after this process can you "slowly" start adding fish to the tank.

Im sure someone can post a link for you after this message to a thread which contains all the information you need on setting up a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom