Freshwater eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all

I have a 46 gallon tank with a albino bichir, 2 pitcus catfish, a leopard ctenopoma and 2 Bolivian rams. Could I add a small species of eel

No. IMO you are already overstocked.

No the bichir you have no needs a minimum of a 55 gallon the 48 inches is good for them. If you rehome the bichir you could possibly work with a peacock eel or half banded spiny eel.

How would I be over stocked already? I have dual filteration and perfect water conditions

Just wait tell your bichir hits 16 inches that's when you are overstocked. I would get him out of there now it would really open up your possibilities and it needs a bigger tank.

No the bichir you have no needs a minimum of a 55 gallon the 48 inches is good for them. If you rehome the bichir you could possibly work with a peacock eel or half banded spiny eel.

Ok thx josh that's a better answer lol I've heard comming from a very good and reputable lfs that sells freshwater fish from all over the world that my "albino bichir" won't get over 8 inches. Is this true

Senegalus (which is most likely the species of your albino) won't get much over 8-9". I'd personally be more concerned about the pictus as they age and grow. I'm assuming your 46 is a bowfront which limits their available footprint. They also should really be kept in larger groups and are extremely active and aggressive eaters.

Senegalus (which is most likely the species of your albino) won't get much over 8-9". I'd personally be more concerned about the pictus as they age and grow. I'm assuming your 46 is a bowfront which limits their available footprint. They also should really be kept in larger groups and are extremely active and aggressive eaters.

What do u mean "covers there footprints"

Senegalus bichirs will not get over 8-9" in aquaria like stated. You're not overstocked but you're pushing it. He would like a bigger tank (55+) but I do feel it's ok for him. If you can get a bigger tank I certainly would.

I might upgrade in the future. Depending on my situation on home. But if I do make a upgrade would a 55 be good?

So could I get him now as a baby and when he grows up upgrade the bichir and him to the 55

You could I just don't like those plans of upgrade later buy now it always works out better when you just start them out in a bigger tank.

You could I just don't like those plans of upgrade later buy now it always works out better when you just start them out in a bigger tank.

I see what you're saying but from all the time of my fish keeping I've always started off small and worked them up lol idk why I do it like that but it always worked

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean if you commit to doing its fine I just see a lot of people who never upgrade ya know.

I mean if you commit to doing its fine I just see a lot of people who never upgrade ya know.

I understand I've had oscars before started at a 40 then 55 now a 75. Something with my African cichlids started at 29 now a 40

If it works for you them go for it I'm just saying most people don't upgrade. But good for you if you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom