Freshwater Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking into maybe getting an Eel. I have a freshwater community tank. Are there any peaceful Eels that would work for my tank? And how difficult are Eel to care for? What do they require for food?

Any information would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Peacock eel is one of the most peaceful. I would say a tank for 45+ would be ideal. They like soft substrate to dig into and they eat anything from shrimp to pellets.

lRockykkoomikik I
Okoume
Ionsk
M ken. J p k
Ok m
IMO minnow I moon pi. IOU I'm k
O
Off I'll. oil nomm koi. I
Km. ion

Peacock Eels and the Half Banded Eel are excellent choices if you're looking for smaller more peaceful eels! There's more out there but those are all my brains letting me think of right now.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 65 gallon tank with sand as my substrate. I have some Cory cats and red tail shark plus more but will it bother these bottom of the tank guys?

I have a 65 gallon tank with sand as my substrate. I have some Cory cats and red tail shark plus more but will it bother these bottom of the tank guys?

Nah he shouldn't! Id be a little more concerned of possible territory/feeding issues myself. The tank itself IMO is large enough to safely and happily house those fish just make sure they all have enough territory and cover. The RTS can be territorial towards other bottom dwellers however if the tank is large enough (and yours is) and has plenty of caves, rocks, wood and other cover and territory he should be fine with an Eel! You should watch feeding since all three of those fish will readily eat the same thing, just make sure each one gets their required nutrition and food!

Was doing some reading and it said that should have potted live plants because Eels like to dig. I already have planted plants. So would it be a bad idea to add an Eel? Will they dig it up?

Pretty sure that digging behavior is their burrowing nature however I've not kept any Spiny Eels so I may be wrong! If you got one he'd likely uproot a few when he burrows in.

Darn. May have to find a different cool freshwater fish to add to my tank.

I had a tiretrack eel many years ago, kept it in a 29 until it outgrew the tank. It dug itself a spot under a large rock, never bothered any other fish or disturbed the rest of the scape. Would have been fine in a 65 gallon tank, but I didn't have the space for one back then. I currently have a couple of Tanganykian spiny eels in my 125. They're both small species, well under 12" max length, and unlike their Asian or SA relatives don't swim up into the hob filters or escape the tank through any available opening. They also don't burrow in the substrate, all around awesome fish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom