Freshwater fish for 8.4 pH water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tap water is VERY hard and it's a high pH. What freshwater fish can I keep happily within those water parameters? My tank is already established. (I've had it running for months with a few tetras and shrimp.)

Most livebearers would be happy with a higher ph like that or African cichlids but those would eat your current inhabitants.

African cichlids is my best bet. But if you're into less boisterous fish, I would go for livebearers, like guppies, swordtails etc. And maybe add a few snails too. They thrive in hard water.

I have the same water conditions where I am. Have 120 gallon with African Cichlids. They are very happy in those conditions with out having to add a lot of chemicals.

tro...

Most hardy pet store fish will easily tolerate very basic tap water. Just use the standard additive that removes chlorine and chloramine. Livebearing fish like Guppies, Platys and Sword tails will work. If you prefer egg laying fish, then Rasboras, White cloud minnows and Danios are good.

Just keep the tank water clear of dissolved fish waste with lots of large, regular water changes.

B

Back
Top Bottom